Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Swing Arm Bearing Problems & Grease

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swing Arm Bearing Problems & Grease

Just another reminder that the swing arm bearing corrosion resistance on 650 prairies is poor at best. On a recent ride a friend lost bearings on both sides. I pulled mine out too (both machines are 2003's) and they were so rusty it is amazing they hadn't failed yet. The inside of my swing arm was clean and bone dry so the moisture must be coming in past the seal and collar o-ring. If your machine is over a year old, and especially if it is ridden in wet conditions, be aware that corrosion is pretty much guaranteed with the lousy design.

Has anyone tried marine type wheel bearing grease to know whether it provides more lasting protection??

Old 11-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

03 P650
My swingarm bearings went out at 1700 miles, most of that mileage was in the Rockies no mud and damn little water of any kind. I was hoping Kawi would have an upgraded kit of some kind, this is crappy design,
Anybody have a dealer fix theirs? if so what did it cost.

1st indicators poping noise coming from driveline, had a 1/2 inch side to side play in swingarm, left swingarm nut had backed off. Amazing, Kawi screwed up on front and rear suspension.

Oxygen

Old 11-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

I just had my 02 650 in to the dealer for swingarm bearings and shaft replacement... I have 2800 kms on bike and I was pulling some logs out of a clearing when I heard a snaping noise when I got on and off the bike around the rear of the floor boards... it wouldn't do it all the time.. just when the bike had time to sit or when I picked it up by the rear foot peg bracket that I have installed then steped on floor board as to mount the bike.. Snap! So I talked to dealer and they said it was a sure sign.. They replaced it all and did the recall on front end at same time... The swing arm was covered under extended warranty.. which was a bonus! They also told me that most times they can save the shaft if its not to bad that the bearings ride on... if you have no warranty they could do that..