Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ARE MAXXIS BIGHORNS GOOD IN MUD???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARE MAXXIS BIGHORNS GOOD IN MUD???

Are Maxxis Bighorn's good in the mud? I know they're not going to be as good as a pure mud tire, but I'm considering buying a set. I ride mainly woods trails with occasional mudholes and also have to cross muddy banked creeks to get to where I'm going. I have stock tires on my Brute Force 750 and I assume that the Bighorn's will improve the ride and traction in any condition over the stock tires, but I wanted to hear from any of you guys that have them on how well they perform in the mud (and snow for that matter).

Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have had mine in some muddy stuff and they seem to work well. They are much better then the stock tires at least. I am not a mudder so I don't get into the deep holes that people back East and South seem to love.

As for as overall traction on trails they are fantastic and they really improve the ride of the BF750. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

just a question, how much are you looking at for the bighorns ??? you can get supergrip wheels and tires for 480 shipped to your door on ebay I have pics of mine click on my camera

Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

BFB,

Your tires look nice but they look like a more aggressive type of "mudding" style than the Bighorns and he said he wanted "occassional mud" so is the apprx $100-$150 savings worth it.....depending on how the do on overall trail riding AND wear. (I have heard that the Bighorns wear about as good as it gets!)

I only buy BF Goodrich for my truck and on 16" rims they were $700 for everything including a front end alignment. Are these the best in the mud and snow?.....NO way, but they do pretty good and on the road they wear better than any all terrain. I am at 60,000 miles and still going strong. I have a buddy that spent $400-$500 for his Coursiers a year AFTER I did, and they are BALD after 40k miles........I guess you get what you pay for.

Not saying your tires are that way at all, in fact they look good.....just wondering how they do on a variety of trails AND how is the WEAR???

Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Read the title... Are they good in mud ??? next he talked about going up muddy banks, as far as the wear on mine The wear is great, I've put alot of miles on them with no noticible wear at all. I did tear up my back tires spinning the crap out of them to get up on my trailer (wasnt using a ramp was at the carwash) when they were wet and they caught a sharp spot on the trailer and tore off the first layer of rubber, BUT I called supergrip and they sent me 2 brand new ones after I told them that it was MY fault. They ride just like a mudlight but have deeper lugs,wear alot longer, and have a rim guard to protect your rims. best tires I've ever had and I've had a bunch of different ones. I'm not putting down any other kind, bighorns are great tires but heavy as h*ll but have a nice ride they are GREAT on rocks, but not so much on mud, i've definatly seen better, they are not much better than the stockers in the mud in my opinion. I'm not trying to push either way, just putting the word out about the Super Grips because I like them and I ride ALL kinds of trails, from sticks, to rocks, smooth pack, and then dive into the mud pits. so they are a great all around tire.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

BRB,

thanks and if they are as good as you say they are then I will consider them, especially being cheaper. The reason I asked is because you are right....that is what the title says but if you read further he says "occassional mud" . I just interpreted that as someone like me who will be in some mud but not 2-3 feet of it. Anyway...no big deal and thanks for the info!