Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problems with BF 750?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with BF 750?

Hey everyone,

I have had my 2005 BF 750 for about a year and a half. I live in WI and just received our first major snowfall of about 5". As I began to plow, number one, the brakes froze up and I had not even left the driveway. Numer two, the machine ran like crap the whole time. If I could keep it running, it felt like the engine was not working properly. When I gave it gas, it bogged a little and felt way underpowered. I buzzed up and down the street trying to warm it up and had no luck. The belt could not have got wet because I was not crashing drifts or etc? There was a slight hesitation when i gave it gas and overall I was very dissapointed. When punching it off the line, I ws luck to get all 4 tires to spin on the snow covered driveway? In the warmer months I had never faced the engine problems I had this past weekend? I am asking for anybodys advice on whether it was the cold or does it need to be serviced? I do not know much about servicing these things other than changing oil. It just seems odd that I never had these symtpoms with it in the warmer months? I have had nothing but issues with the Kawasaki since day one, but never any issues other than the carb jetting change at the beginning.

Can someone help me out? I need to know if this is a common solution I can fix or do I need to take it in?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is what I would try bigbwb, check the choke make sure its not stuck. If its not, check your fuel could have moisture in it. A fuel additive like heat or sta-bil can't hurt. Just a couple suggestions.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

About 3 weeks ago I had much the same problem with my 2005 BF750i. I keep my machine in the garage, which is normally around 62-65 degrees. Twice in the previous two weeks when I tried to start it up, it just didn't want to start, which was never a problem in the warmer weather, so I used the choke. When it would finally start, it never wanted to idle, coughed around, and was sluggish. On that third time, I went out, and made two passes on the driveway, and could barely keep it running! It would die as soon as I left of the throttle, and no amount of adjusting the idle would help, it also hesitated BAD, and had no power. I pulled in the garage, and called up my dealer, rather upset!! This was on a saturday at noon, and the snow was dumping on us. He said bring it in immidiately. It just had 10 hours on it!! (I had them do a 10 hour service while there) They discovered severe corrosion in the choke cable to the rear carb had siezed the cable up completely! The rear carb was fully choked all the time. They replaced the cable, adjusted the carbs, and it runs better than ever now. They stayed almost an hour past closing time, and it was all covered by warranty. By the time I left the shop we had almost 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground too, so it got a good workout when we got home, and ran great! In the past few weeks I've plowed a lot, and the temp has been anywhere from -20, to +10, and the temp has had no adverse effect on how it ran. I let it warm up for about ten minutes, and usually spend about an hour out in the cold, and it runs fine.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

u probably have the same problem that fbc72. sounds like sumthing with ur choke.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

FBC72,

Your situation sounds almost exactly like the problems I am having.....thanks. So I called the dealer just a bit ago and explained that it may be choke cable problem and he said it sounded like something different? Who knows, but I will be bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow. My warranty was up a while back, any chance they would cover an issue like this?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope for you that it is this simple, and not anything more. As for the dealer covering it, that depends on your dealer! There are good ones and bad ones, as I'm sure you hear people talking about on these forums. If you can convince them that this has been a problem that has been getting worse, and started when there was still warranty on the machine, they may cover it. Good luck, let me know how it turns out
Bob

Old 12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you might have a fouled sparkplug? Did you check them.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check you airbox and make sure it isn't full of snow

Old 12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

The airbox has nothing in it, never even left the driveway(only 4" of snow). I mentioned the plugs to the dealer and he said unlikely? Its currently sitting at the dealer now and I will fill you all in in the near future.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

first off, a v twin engine is a cold-blooded pig when it gets real cold outside and are kind of tempurmental during winter. every machine made by kawasaki comes jetted from the factory for elevations from 6 to 9000 feet, and with a temp range of 40 to 80 F. the best thing you can do if you have any of theses symptoms,(ofcourse check with your dealer for recalls or bulletins) but go out and spend $200 on a K&N power kit. It comes with a complete jet kit for single or multiple carbs, and with the right needles,jets and seats to accomodate your elevation. They are also rather easy to install and come with good directions. But that kit along with the air filter will help your machine breathe better in your altitude and area, and youll also gain a few poines out of it. Very cost effective way of fixing cold blooded machines.

Quick Reply: Problems with BF 750?