Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

differential staying locked??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential staying locked??

As I was plowing snow Fri. I used the Diff a few times. Then I noticed both tires spinning w/ out me pulling in the diff lever. steering a little more heavy. Its been like that ever since. I thought it might be froze up but I warmed that area up got all the snow off and no diffrence. the lever has a lot of play only the last inch or so has any feel to it.
It only has 56 miles on it. the dealer said to make sure nothen is holding the lever from returning back in place down by thie diff but nothen is obstructing it.
I gess the key thing is the lever has a ton of play and only a little bit of actual feel to the lever. some thing is locked up. in 2wd it works fine only when I engage the 4x4
Any Ideas??
thanks

Old 12-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer

Hey whats going on did you check the linkage between it and the lever that is all i can think of sorry!!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 PM
sam
Pro Rider

I posted this over on kawierides as well and got some replys. I had a worse case and a try first before the worst case. worst case was the spider gears have welded them selvs togeter. a couple of guys had this happen on there p700 and I think 650 too.
one relpys said to change the diff oil incase something got in to the cluches. so I did this. I have not changed the diff oil for the 10 hr service yet cuz the allen bolt was very tight and I didnt want to strip it.I was going to let the dealer do it when it goes in for tie rods. I put a little heat on it and I did get it lose. the oil had a lot of metalic in it.
I took it out for a spin and both wheels were still spinning in foward and reverse. But I when I drove up on a large snow pile and got all the wheels spinning front and rear only one wheel in the front was spinning I pulled the diff lock and all whells spin.

So Im thinking in the snow just farting around , were there is a lot of spinning going on the front is locking up automaticly but when it gets in a situation where one wheel has more traction the slip kicks in.
does any one here who rides in the snow get the same experiance in 4wd. with both front wheels pulling?

It doesnt feel natural but w/ the front end slipping when Im on the hill that things might be working the way they need to be. Maybe the diffy is very sencitive, and kicks in alot. I dont know for sure till I get some feed back from others.

this is only my second 4x4 and the first was a honda and only one wheel in the front spun all the time. and with both wheels spinning most of the time it seems weird.
thanks

Old 12-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Its new, have the dealer fix it................

Old 12-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Does sound like a dealer issue.