Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Are V-twins just hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are V-twins just hard to start?

I thought the new 650i had some sort of heater to help start it when it is cold. At least that is what the brochure says. Thinkng about buying one.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

My dads Twin Peaks is cold blooded too. It will start, but in cold weather you have to give it full choke and give it some throttle every so often for it to idle without stalling.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

In the cold mine always needs full choke to start. But once you let it warm up for a few minutes you can take the choke off and it runs fine.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi's V-twin models carbs have electric carb heater to start/idle better in cold climate. Check to make sure the connector is plugged in. It can easily come off. It is on the right hand side just below the airbox on my BF.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

how fast have u had ur bf 750 cjroberts?.....and how much has it increased since u put the copperhead on it?...

Old 02-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Suzuki400fan....Right now I have my 26" Mudlites on and I have hit 67 mph on gravel according to the speedometer. I have not checked to see if that was the true speed by using my GPS which I'm guessing its not. But I can say that the tires are still not fully grabbing at that speed.They are still throwing rocks. I need to take it down the highway and see what I can get. With the stock CDI in I could usually only get about 62..maybe 63. So I'd say I gained maybe another 3-4 on my top end, which also gets there much faster. Sometime soon I want to put my stock tires back on and see what I can get. Before I could get 69-70 mph and hold it fairly steady with the stock cdi. So hopefully I can get around the 72-73 range.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I find the twins are cold blooded but it starts. I never can count ten tries to start thou. I have a primer for the cold days. My kvf400 would start at -20 without a choke or gas.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

That's really funny. My V starts better than any quad I have owned? The second you touch the starter button it lights? I must have gotten lucky? It does seem a tad bit rich though and that will help.
You want to talk cold blooded just get a Bomb ute. Now that's cold blooded!!!!!

Old 02-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

i find it to be just the opposite. i have a brute 750 and it starts easily with full choke & sometimes a blip of the throttle, but thats when its really cold. now, my rubicon is just the opposite. full choke when its cold and it will only crank never start. i need to hit the primer plunger under the seat to get her going. both of these have the carb heater, but i really doubt they do much, unless you turn the key and let her set awhile then crank it over.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
That's really funny. My V starts better than any quad I have owned? The second you touch the starter button it lights? I must have gotten lucky? It does seem a tad bit rich though and that will help.
You want to talk cold blooded just get a Bomb ute. Now that's cold blooded!!!!!
I guess mine starts pretty easily too actually. Below 40 degrees I need full choke. Above that, just fire the starter and go.

It used to require some gas to get it going but that was before I got a stuck choke problem fixed. Now it fires right up.

Quick Reply: Are V-twins just hard to start?