Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

96 bayou 300 4x4 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 10:52 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 96 bayou 300 4x4 help

First off, I am new to this forum.....and already think its great! Lots of helpful 411 here!!

On to my question.....I just picked up a 96 bayou 4x4 300 for under 2 bills....i can get on it and crank it up and ride it....it doesn't smoke or anything. My problem is drivetrain related...i can shift through 1 and 2 fine (hi or low doesn't matter) but when i get past those gears i hear a loud "clackin" noise. The guy i got it from said he thought it needs a new u-joint for the front drive shaft. I checked it out and it does need some attention( probably replace it altogether) BUT i think the problem is inside the tranny or front diff. I have rebuild Blaster motors front top to bottom with ease, but this is my first time tackling a 4x4. Can i remove the front drive shaft and drive it to see if that elimnates the problem? Also when it starts the "clakcing" noise it feels like its slipping out of gear almost like clutches slipping. The people who had this thing putting through the ringer 4 times over. The plastic is busted on it. ive got a lot of work ahead of me but i want to get it in good running condition before anything. Any thoughts or comments are well appreciated. Also if anyones got extra/old parts lying around for this bike let me know thanks
Heath

Old 02-07-2006 | 04:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums
A u joint would make noise in all gears, so i don think thats it.
You may need to put it up on jackstands, and have someone have it in 3rd, and just rotate the tires enough for the noise to happen. This should help narrow down whether its the diff or the tranny, i would think if the diff were bad, it would make unpleasant noises in 1st and 2nd.
Its awful hard to dianose noises over the internet, so im thinking your best bet, is to buy a service manual, and probaly start by looking under the clutch cover. Whatever is wrong, most likely is fixable, and you got in at a good start point of 2 bills.

Keep an eye on ebay, parts come up for sale now and then, but you can always go to the dealership, or rockmountainatv, for parts.

Old 02-09-2006 | 10:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well i did some digging on it. I removed the clutch cover to inspect the components. I didn't see any visual signs of damage. I did, however, find the small oil screen that i guess strains oil from the crankcase before it goes to the clutch side. BAD NEWS! It was full of metal shavings on the crankcase side. Soo i have to split the case and see whats going on in there. This is my first 4x4 so hopefully can do it. I will be buying me a repair manual. Thanks guys.
heath