Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force 750 Turbo build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force 750 Turbo build up

i did quite a bit of research when i was planning on turbocharging my Harley. a company called Aerocharger makes a trubo that has sealed bearings, but it might be too big (i havent done the displacement x rpm math). this kit pressurized the carb like what you are doing, although it has an intercooler. another company, American Turbo Products, has a kit that draws air through the carb, through the turbo, and into the intake with no intercooler.
both kits have their plusses and minuses, but this is as far as i went with this. i spent my turbo money on my first atv.
so i gotta ask, how does the airbox cover hold up to the pressure? and i gotta admire you for tackling a project like that with so many pitfalls and making it work right off the bat.

monty

Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Trailblazer

Im kinda snickering to myself cause I didnt just jump right into building turbos.This is my 8-9 turbo system I have built for various bikes.I have in my garage right now a turbo charged 1200 sportster(building it for a friend) I am almost finished with.It will be ridden for bike week all over the place.I have a EX500(mine) with a Turbo that makes 115hp at the rear wheel at 9800rpm.2 KZ1000s Turbo charged(both mine,both for sale).And am building a ZX12 turbo bike as soon as I get the chassis complete.Belive me I didnt just do it.Learning was very expensive(ask my wife hehe).It seems easy now only due to past failures and learning from them(the hard way,of coarse).I have also built 2 systems for ZX7s an 89'(mine) and a 96'(friend).I am "addicted" to the type of power a turbo builds cause it bulds its max torque when it reaches its max boost.So if (like my Brute) at 2500rpm(rough guess) im at my max boost of 5-6psi I am also at my torque peak.And it carries it through the rpm range.I dont know if the Brute does I would think it would sence my others turbos do.There is some drop off but not a lot.At 5-6psi the stock airbox seems to be doing good.I havent had any problems yet and I have a plan if they start.I personally would not buy a Aerocharger.Ik now a lot of people who run them,most have serious problems(with the turbo) when boost levels start getting higher.Check out my profile for some pics I have of the Harley.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To anyone interested in seeing pics of a turbo mounted on a V-force, here is a recent e-bay ad for one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Looks like this turbo was mounted closer to the motor than the one that Kawturbo currently has mounted on his. I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are in placement of the turbo?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

wow, no wonder it only took a couple hours for the kawi install. you have been doing this for a while.
the only advantage i could see in the Aerocharger is that it wouldn't rob oil pressure. but the combination of heat, high rpms, and sealed bearings seems like a recipe for bearing failure.

how much oil does a conventional turbo require?

monty

Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

the only advantage i could see in the Aerocharger is that it wouldn't rob oil pressure. but the combination of heat, high rpms, and sealed bearings seems like a recipe for bearing failure.
I don't quite understand what you mean by not robbing oil pressure?

how much oil does a conventional turbo require?
Not much, not much at all.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

unless i'm wrong, the Aerocharger does not have an oil line from the engine. it uses sealed bearings. the other turbos i've seen have an oil supply line coming from the engine. the amount of oil this line flows to the turbo and back to the crankcase is what i'm talking about. is there a GPM rule of thumb? and are oil coolers reccomended? just wondering. i gave up the harley turbo idea a while ago, but turbos still interest me.

monty

Old 02-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

unless i'm wrong, the Aerocharger does not have an oil line from the engine. it uses sealed bearings. the other turbos i've seen have an oil supply line coming from the engine.
Interesting. I never knew they made such a unit. Thanks montyh

About the GPM. Mine was between a quart and a 1/2 a gall/min. They don't need this much oil supplied to them. It's just what mine had with a high volume pump. They can get by with FAR less oil to them and live.
I have never had an oil cooler on any of my turbo engines. Not a bad idea, but I never had any problems without one so I never messed with them.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

That is a cool turbo set up.It is a very easy fix to make it work.He has the turbo turned on its end .That is why it is leaking oil,and why it has shaft play after only 4 hrs..Very nice though.Good turbo unit,Very durable.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

yea, i have installed quite a few turbos, but not any that could be picked up by hand. the locomotive engine turbos weigh about 1800 pounds (for the EMD two stroke 16 or 20 cyl diesel) and have a gear drive that drives the turbo from the cam gears until the exhaust pressure builds and exceeds the speed of the drive. there is a dedicated oil pump to pre-lube the turbo before starting and for 1/2 hour after shuut-down. boost up to around 15#
none of this applies to the v-twin turbo. i don't know squat about these. i do think that with the recent power struggle in the atv segment, it is a great idea. i mean, look at the big bore kits out there. i don't know what you have into your turbo install, but i would think that a turbo install could be done for less money, and provide superior results. my 650i is not a good candidate with it's 9.9-1 compression ratio, but i'd sure like to find an old KFX 700 to turbocharge . that would be great fun. lets see, intercooler w/electric fan, VDI to spark it, forged pistons. i can see i need another job...

oh, yea, bump

Kawturbo1, Nyrock's site is easy to post pix on without a photo host if you have any digital pix. i know there is a link to this thread or your timing thread over on Kawiriders also, but posting pix is tough there too.

monty

Old 02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I got some pics developed and posted them here on ATV connection.They are not the ones I thought were on the roll of film I developed but It is of the Turbo I used and of my brute just before I turbo charged it.

Quick Reply: Brute Force 750 Turbo build up