Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My Brute review. The reasons for my trade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brute review. The reasons for my trade.

Originally posted by: wideopenrider
So i take it the 650i has the same problem? let me know please.....
Dont know much about the 650i. I did ride one for a short time, its power was right up there with the 750i. But thats about all I know and havent read much about it. As far as I know it has the same plastics and look. Please by any means dont take just my out look on the 750. As you have been reading there are Brute lovers and there are Brute haters. Its a tough choice now a days to find a machine that fits your style of riding.

Other than my plastic ripping on both sides which is way to easy to do in wooded areas, there were no problems with breakdowns or mechanical failures.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

I gave a LOT of thought to getting a BF before I decided on getting the Rincon. The main reason I didn't go with Kawi. was all the complaints I read about the comfort of ride. To me the main criteria are getting in and out(reliability) in comfort and having enough power to not feel like you are struggling.

I think sometimes people get seduced by power, having the biggest and "fastest". My buddy just bought a YFZ450, very nice quad, but 5 minutes in the seat and I was like "no thanks" I prefer riding on my couches (DS and Rincon)LOL. He was seduced by speed but almost ALL the riding we do is under 30 MPH, after I passed him in a few drags on my DS he wants to modify it to make it faster <sigh>. BTW, we don't "drag race" in general but he wanted to see what his new quad could do.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

States40:
You seem to take allot for granted when it comes to the "MAGS" test and their conclusions. Why?
You best reread them on the Grizz 660 as they all state that the Grizz is "Outdated" and needs to be refined to complete with the latest Flagships, including the BF750i.
Even ATV TV states the Grizz 660 is lacking and proved in one show how a complete set of WORKS Shocks along with the ITP Wheel/Radial tires really improves the Grizz, in handling and tippyness.
Now you state that after installing a set of New Springs to the front of your Brute that it made it harder and worse to steer. When did you install these Springs? What springs? Now a set of the Highlifter springs is just a Band-aid fix, if you really want to improve the Brute, then go with the complete set of the ELKAs or a complete set of the WORKS.
And did you ever install the Springs? You have another "Post" that ask BF750 owners about the Highlifter Springs and are they worth it for improvement on the Brute. In your next reply you state "Forget it, I just traded in my Brute for the Grizz". I read that as You Did NOT ever install any aftermarket Spring to the front of your Brute.. and why only the front.
Yes, the BF750i is not the "perfect 4wheeler ever made", does a perfect 4wheeler 4x4 even exist, no way.
If you had done your homework in the 1st place then you would of known up front of the negitives with the BF750i, I mean Good Grief, didn't you read those Magazine test??

Right out of the shipping crate I took my Brand New Stock BF750i up into the High Rocky Mountains outside of Silverton,CO. Odd, I didn't have any problems what so ever with locking up my tires on those BIG hill declinds but I was in 4x4Low, allow the engine braking to do the work for me instead of over braking with the brakes b/c some ride down these steep hills in either 2wdH or 4x4High.
Over the years I have noticed many atv'ers not using the proper gear range for either climbing and worse for going down steep hills or Steep Mountain sides.

Kawasaki was so impressed with the ATV TV test on the WORKS Grizz 660 project they ask if they could do the same test but with the BF750i, they did and the end result was the same excellent results as were noted on the Grizz. Being able to see this WORKS Upgrade vs the Stock set-up Sold me on the WORKS for my BF750i, as the TV video showed the difference between stock and the WORKS Suspension. Handling/power/powersliding/overall comfort is now the standard on my refit BF750i WORKS Suspension/ITP Wheels/Radial Tires.
Now I know of two other BF750i owners that have not done the Shock Upgrade but did switch over to the ITP Wheels/Radial Holeshots and for their riding style, they are completely 100% pleased with their BF750s.
Seat firmest has always been a issue with Kawasaki but that is a very easy fix.
I updated my Tie-rods/ends long before I ever had any problems with the Stock units. Why? B/C I read on these Forums of a upcoming problem that I was going to have If I Didn't do something about it. That Is Why I Am A Member Of These Forums, for information on the 4wheeler that I ride and how I can make it even better over stock.
I ride with a bunch of slow-pokes who very seldom ever push their 4wheelers but that is not me, I'm always out front tearing down the trails and pushing my BF to its limits and yes it does have its limits as any 4wheeler does.
I don't have a problem with you venting your "Opinion" but all you did is replace one set of negitives with another set with the Grizz, you best pull out your wallet and invest in a decent set of Shocks, if you really want see how that '06 Grizzy 660 can really perform. IMO...

Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

States40:
You seem to take allot for granted when it comes to the "MAGS" test and their conclusions. Why?
You best reread them on the Grizz 660 as they all state that the Grizz is "Outdated" and needs to be refined to complete with the latest Flagships, including the BF750i.
>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like 90% of what he was stating was based on personal experience. I thought his post was well thought out and articulate. Comfort and handling seemed to be his biggest complaints and if you have to take a new quad and replace suspension parts it sounds like he is on to something. It's honest reviews like people need to read on these forums to help come to their own conclusions.

My buddy just bought a brand new YFZ450, supposed to be the latest and greatest.......5 min in the seats and "no thanks". I'm sure there are thousands of Yami fans that would argue that point to the death with me but if I DON'T FEEL RIGHT ON IT then doesn't matter what anyone else is gonna say to convince me differently.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: bfb750BF
States40:
Even ATV TV states the Grizz 660 is lacking and proved in one show how a complete set of WORKS Shocks along with the ITP Wheel/Radial tires really improves the Grizz, in handling and tippyness.
Now you state that after installing a set of New Springs to the front of your Brute that it made it harder and worse to steer. When did you install these Springs? What springs? Now a set of the Highlifter springs is just a Band-aid fix, if you really want to improve the Brute, then go with the complete set of the ELKAs or a complete set of the WORKS.
And did you ever install the Springs? You have another "Post" that ask BF750 owners about the Highlifter Springs and are they worth it for improvement on the Brute. In your next reply you state "Forget it, I just traded in my Brute for the Grizz". I read that as You Did NOT ever install any aftermarket Spring to the front of your Brute.. and why only the front.
Yes, the BF750i is not the "perfect 4wheeler ever made", does a perfect 4wheeler 4x4 even exist, no way.
If you had done your homework in the 1st place then you would of known up front of the negitives with the BF750i, I mean Good Grief, didn't you read those Magazine test??

Right out of the shipping crate I took my Brand New Stock BF750i up into the High Rocky Mountains outside of Silverton,CO. Odd, I didn't have any problems what so ever with locking up my tires on those BIG hill declinds but I was in 4x4Low, allow the engine braking to do the work for me instead of over braking with the brakes b/c some ride down these steep hills in either 2wdH or 4x4High.
Over the years I have noticed many atv'ers not using the proper gear range for either climbing and worse for going down steep hills or Steep Mountain sides.

Kawasaki was so impressed with the ATV TV test on the WORKS Grizz 660 project they ask if they could do the same test but with the BF750i, they did and the end result was the same excellent results as were noted on the Grizz. Being able to see this WORKS Upgrade vs the Stock set-up Sold me on the WORKS for my BF750i, as the TV video showed the difference between stock and the WORKS Suspension. Handling/power/powersliding/overall comfort is now the standard on my refit BF750i WORKS Suspension/ITP Wheels/Radial Tires.
Now I know of two other BF750i owners that have not done the Shock Upgrade but did switch over to the ITP Wheels/Radial Holeshots and for their riding style, they are completely 100% pleased with their BF750s.
Seat firmest has always been a issue with Kawasaki but that is a very easy fix.
I updated my Tie-rods/ends long before I ever had any problems with the Stock units. Why? B/C I read on these Forums of a upcoming problem that I was going to have If I Didn't do something about it. That Is Why I Am A Member Of These Forums, for information on the 4wheeler that I ride and how I can make it even better over stock.
I ride with a bunch of slow-pokes who very seldom ever push their 4wheelers but that is not me, I'm always out front tearing down the trails and pushing my BF to its limits and yes it does have its limits as any 4wheeler does.
I don't have a problem with you venting your "Opinion" but all you did is replace one set of negitives with another set with the Grizz, you best pull out your wallet and invest in a decent set of Shocks, if you really want see how that '06 Grizzy 660 can really perform. IMO...

1st thing I need to let you know is I was not venting, just stating facts and pointing out why I have traded my Brute for a Griz. To answer your question to me if I had read some of the reviews in mags, I did like I stated in " Big bore shootouts WHATS UP!! thread. Go back and read it bfb750BF.

Here is an example of the kind of facts I stated before.

1) The Brutes seat. Is it not higher, wider and harder that the Griz. Yes it is. Thats fact. Cant argue about that!

2) Is the Brute harder to steer than the Griz in or out of 4 Wheel drive including while the D lock is engaged. Yes, Thats fact unless you added power steering to your Brute.

3)Does the Brutes stock suspension handle the rear to front weight transfer better than the Griz, no it does not.

4) Lets compare the turning radius of the Brute to the Griz. There is no comparison in a flat turn the Griz will win every time. Plus with some speed the Brute wants to lean out of the turn, compared with the Griz at the same speed there is some lean to it however it does not feel like it will tip.

5)Down hill rocky grades, tell me the Brute handles well here (this is from personal experience, just an opinion).

6)The Brutes Breaking system was well thought out, however from personal experience the Griz stops better.

From what I have read from some of the mags big bore shootouts, over all reviews, the old man of the group still faired better than the Brute. If I remember right the Brute was last in over all comparison in most of the big bore shoot outs.
Like I said, I posted a string about this from what then I thought was unfair reweiw on the Brute, however since Ive been eating crow.

Also was pointed out in my review on the good points to the Brute, seemed only fair. ATV's are supposed to be just that, ATV's. Which in turn under the seat with all that power the Brute has to offer there is an under classed suspension compared with most of the other big bores. That was my point and the reason for my trade. Most from what I have read in responce to my review has been knee jerk reactions by mostly Brute owners. Some of you have been kind in your responce and its those kind of responces I will reply to only from now on.

Ive been very happy with the trade and look forward to riding every day after work. The Griz 660 for as long as it has been around is still one the best ATV's on the market in its class.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Guys, why do have to be so defensive about your bikes? People just have different opinions. You can't change someone else's opinion by saying that they are wrong. Especially if they are giving an opinion about a bike that they own or owned. I know that it hurts your feelings when you spend 8 grand on a bike and someone else acts like it's junk. But you know it's not junk; ..............don't you? Seriously though, do you folks read someone's opinion about the bike that you own and then change your opinion of your bike? Post something useful.

I appreciate this thread. I don't take it to heart though. Come on guys get your feelings off your shoulders. This guy bought a brute and didn't like it enough to keep it. Period.

Another guy just posted a thread saying that he had the most fun in his entire life riding his new brute. ................I wonder......is he wrong?

Old 03-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

if i sounded rude and defensive i apologize, by all means i respect the opinions of others. states40 posted his opinion and stated he would like a debate or dicussion of his and our opinions. the only point which everyone really dislikes about the brute is the handling, this is where i am at a loss. i feel the brute handles just as well if not better than some atv's, not all though. the stock suspension works fine for me and i really enjoy it. in my opinion the brutes suspension handles its power well, not great. sure it would be better with aftermarket shocks but what atv wouldnt. both the brute and grizz have very good brakes, both come with crappy tires, both have very nice styling, both have enough power for just about any situation we could ever put them in, both have great digital displays, and both have no real storage but that is really overated. again i'm rambling here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] bfb750BF said it best, "the perfect atv doesnt exist." again this is only my opinion and i respect every member's opinion.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

One thing I did like while owning my Brute is when ever we went to the riding parks people would always ask about my Brute, being there was never hardly any Brutes there and people would always want to drag me, never did I point out my opinion around people. Seems most people who own Brutes stand up for them more than any ATV owners, they stick together on these forums compared to Honda or Bomb and even Grizz owners the Brute owners stand in a class by themself and I do miss being in that class of the ATV world. If you notice I still come here to read and post in the Kawi forums.
Another thing about the Brute that was nice was it's mean look with good after market tires.
More proof of the Brutes home in the mudd is on this site. http://www.tommyrhea.com/
Watch the 2005 Windrock ATV Club Spring Jamboree MUD BOG, in the video section. If my my cuz told me right the Brutes won this one, were going to Coal Creek Tn in April about 20 of us as of now, if you live close by its worth the trip, from what people tell me. Think they expect around 3000 4 wheelers there. Plus the place is so big 72000 acres they say the trails never seem congested. Thought I would give a plug for the Windrock ATV club who over sees the Cola Creek OHV, they do a great job of keeping over 250 miles of trails in good shape from what poeple who have been there tell me.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

So you posted this topic once already and you didn't get enough heat over it so you thought you would post it again? Nice.

Maybe you should have investigated different wheels and tires. Larger wheels and tires (because of the additional weight) lower the center of gravity, widen the stance, and give you other benefits as well, such as improved traction and the bling factor. In addition they also add more unsprung weight which softens the suspension.

You say your statements are "facts" but they are really just your opinions.

Yamaha is coming out with an all new 07 Grizzly that will be released mid year 2006. It's going to have the Raptor 700 engine w/EFI and a bunch of other improvements that are going to "redefine the utility ATV market". They are going to offer it at the same price as the current Grizzly to try to get back some of the market share they are losing to BRP and the the others. Now is that fact or opinion?

Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

Why do all of these post always throw something completely rediculous in them to the point of not even believing them?

The brake system on the kawi's is by far the best i've had the pleasure of using before... They don't lock up just from tapping them i actually have to squeeze them pretty hard to lock them up if i really want to but thats how i like it.

I'll keep my ole brute that will fall over looking at anything other than a straight strip. ;d

Quick Reply: My Brute review. The reasons for my trade.