Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My First ATV!!!! 95 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First ATV!!!! 95 Kawasaki Bayou 2x4

I just bought my first ATV. I got a 95 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4. I know it does not even compare to most bikes on here, but it is all that we could do right now. The price was right and the finances here at the house would only allow so much! At least I have something to ride with the kids now on the weekends. (See pics below) I had a couple of quick questions regarding modifications and tire sizes.

1. What mods would be good for this type of bike? I am really only doing trail riding with the kids, but we encounter some mud along the way. I took it out yesterday and and got stuck in a small mud hole with steep sides. I think it had to do with my driving and the tires on it.

2. What type of wheels and tires would be good for this and what can I expect to pay for these?

3. The frame and bike had more rust on it that I really wanted and would expect, but oh well. Is there anything that can be done to sharpen this bike up appearences wise?

4. What is the differential for? The guy told me he left it locked. Is that what it should stay in for just trail riding and riding on the streets in my neighborhood?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on your new Kawi 4-wheeler.
By the way, do yourself a favor by specifying exactly which model you have when asking questions here. There were 3 different Bayou models produced by Kawi in 1995. However, I'm guessing that you've got a air-cooled 300.

Important thing first:
4. The diff lock model would lock up the both rear wheels and there would be no differentiating when turning - 2 wheels are turning at the same rate for better traction all the time. On normal trail riding, I would NOT lock up the diff for quicker cornering and for shorter turning radius. You should use the lock-mode when the trail gets slippery. No matter what, do NOT ride in diff lock-mode on hard surface like on pavement. Rear tires would wear out much faster and can even damage the rear end gears - if it is on paved public street, it is illegal as you should know. Also, 2+ up riding is illegal in many states. I don't want you to get in a trouble with the law on your FIRST ATV.
1. Tire upgrades - try to get wider ones but don't go too big on diameter (no more than 25" on 300). Too big tires can hurt your centrifual clutch plates, especially in high gears.
2. Radial tires will give you better ride/handling - check out Kenda. High quality at low price.
3. Frame rusting - use Scotch brite to remove rust spots and spray paint to match original color wherever you can. If you want to be perfect, strip every thing off and sand blast the frame and e-coat it.
Ride safely and enjoy your first ATV.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

congrats. you'll have fun. i spent eight years on a Suzuki 250 4X4 and had a blast. i took it pretty much everywhere. i am glad i bought it even if it was not the biggest and nowhere near the fastest. i still have it and still like it a lot.

the rear diff thing baffles me. most atvs don't have a rear diff per se. neither of mine will allow one wheel to spin and not the other, and my brute is street legal here in MT. no problems on the pavement, but i would think if you diddn't need it locked, it would steer easier with it unlocked.

for tires, we should know what your trails are like (any mud? sharp rocks that might tear up light tires?) you should be able to get decent tires to fit your stock rims if you need to keep the expenses down.

monty

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

congrads on the buy ..welcome to the begining of the fun waho kawei rocks

Old 03-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! Thanks a bunch on the replys. You can sure make someone feel welcome even if they don't own the biggest and baddest ATV out there. It is funny, but I know it is old and probably not that great looking, but I love it becuase its mine and its paid for!

I would post a picture, but can not figure that out on this forum. I have pics waiting on hunt101.com, but dont know how to post them here.

I do want to change the tires on it becuase they are in pretty bad shape. I got a great idea off of another website to paint the rims instead of buying new ones. I thought that was a pretty good one so I will probably paint them black.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My First ATV!!!! 95 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4

Congrats on the Kawie! While there aer always some around looking to stroke the ole ego, many of us really don't care what you are riding. The guy with the most powerful, expensive, hopped up toy is not usually the guy having the most fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]