Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 650 Brute --- CRASH --- PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:48 PM
DJW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 650 Brute --- CRASH --- PLEASE READ

Hi all,

I own a 05 Brute 650. I am quite happy with the bike and have convinced 2 friends to buy the same. My bike has 75 hrs and 400 miles of aggressive trail riding. From the rocks of PARAGON in Pa, to the mountains of WV on the Hatfield McCoy trail system. The bike has done everything I asked of it. I should mention that I bought this model for the solid rear axle, I felt more comfortable with the handling rather the IRS. That being said, I have experienced an axle failure unlike any other I've seen or associates have seen. Riding trail #19 at Hatfield, which is a easy, wide trail. Speed was 20 -25 mph, I saw a hole ahead of me. It was not anything I had not encountered before and I lifted the front wheels over it. That is when I ended up on the trail. The right side of the axle sheared off, almost clean. I have seen them bend, the wheel flange/hub break off, Never like this. Have you?

If this sound abnormal to you and you are an owner of the same model, PLEASE HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. If I can save just one of you the pain I've been through by asking you to read this, I won't feel bad about asking for 5 minutes of your time.

Please give any comments or tech advice or even criticism if you want.

Thank you

Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a person of disbelief. I will not believe this until I see pictures. This is not normal even for aggressive trail riding the point where it takes 75hrs to break is unbelieveable. You didn't have any warning? thank god it was your back tire. Any markings on your gas tank or anything? About how much weight was on the quad.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Is it front cv axle or rear solide axle?
Which side, left or right?
If it is the cv axle, inboard or outboard?
Where about, near the spline end or middle of axle?

Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
DJW
Trailblazer

I will get some pictures as soon as I can. Right now I am lade up with a broken right tipula and fibula. Doctor installed some nice stainless hardware but it still will be awhile before I can walk. Also no warning and no weight on racks. I'm not sure what you mean by marks on the gas tank.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the exact same bike with about the same amount of hours on it. I will look at the rear axles when I get home for any defects.
Thanks for the heads up and hope you heal up quickly.
Dave

Old 03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wondering if the tire got in under the gas tank, normally your gas tank is on the inner side of your tire. If there are marks on your tank it would tell me it had a serious bend to it , (or it bent when you hit the hole) rather than just snap off. This whole thing of you being injured etc.. with slow speeds of 25 Mph got me puzzled. I had my front tire come off at around 30km and I walked away from that. I think someone cut your axle before you went out. LOL I would have a machine shop anyalize it.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
DJW
Trailblazer

Sorry but I just cannot answer that right now. When I'm able to investigate and get pictures I will. I just wanted everyone to be awear of what happen to me and to check out their equipment before riding.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Wow! I hope you get better soon...

Keep us posted on your findings...

Take care,

Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
DJW
Trailblazer

Ok,

I was able to go and see the bike, the axle broke right at the collar for the hub. I took a picture but it is not very clear. If anyone would like to see it, I can email it to you. I'll be going to my dealer tomorrow and hopefully they will shed some light on what happened.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

75 hours 400 miles. thats 5mph average speed. how could anything break at that speed?

Hope ya have a swift and speedy recovery.. Get back on your quad when it gets fixed.

Quick Reply: 05 650 Brute --- CRASH --- PLEASE READ