Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

jumping time

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jumping time

My nephew is having lots of problem with his 1992 mojave. He took it back to the dealer (an hour and a half away) to have the engine rebuilt ($800 and 2 months time). He got it back and it was mostly running okay but now after about 4 months of only riding it about 2 weekends out of a month it keeps acting like it's jumping out of time. He reset the timing a few times and after riding for about 5 or 10 minutes at slow speed it just jumps out of time again. To avoid another trip to the dealer and lots more money, I told him I would ask the guys on here because I've gotten lots of help from this forum. Any ideas on what the problem is and things that he might try to fix this?

Thanks a bunch,
Boochicklet

Old 04-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping time

Is his cam chain to loose?, I've gone through two tensioners. What does it do? Can you hear the Chain? need a tad more info

Old 04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping time

i would say too that the cam chain tensioner, cam chain or cam sprockets(or a combination) is bad....but ya if you can a little more info would be great.....also check out cycleworksracing.net and contact greg...he is a mojave man and pritty much knows them inside and out....he will deffinatly be able to help you find out what the problem is and he most likely has all the right things to fix it........i have never had good luck wit hdealers..they are always trying to rip you off...charged me $320 bucks to install some clutch plates only for me to find that they went bad 2 months later.....they cracked the bottom of the bolt hole on my engine case and a chunk is missing and they tried to say it was there before even though there was no dirt where the chunk was missing and i knew it wasnt there before....and best of all they wanted $1800 dollars to do a top end on my lakota.....i got the bottom and top end done at CWR and i got a hi performance cam, hd springs,oversized valves. a hd cam chain, hd connecting rod and a hi comp piston all for $900 shipping included.......