Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Mojave Owner W/ Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mojave Owner W/ Questions

Hey Guys,

My name is John, I'm 30 yrs old and I live in northeast Pa.

I recently purchased a 1994 Mojave for $800. It's in really good shape. The only thing wrong is the choke doesn't work, but with a little shot of ether, it starts right up in the morning and runs perfect all day. I was told by the previous owner that it's got a different cam in it. He also said that when that work was done that the valve seals were not replaced so it smokes a little. I know the guy and I believe that he's telling the truth about this, so I don't think that the smoke is from bad rings, etc.

This is my second atv. Two years ago I had a 1999 Yamaha Blaster, and I can already tell that I'll like the Mojave a lot better. I think for trail riding, a four stroke is a lot easier to ride than a two stroke, and the Mojave is a bigger machine, so I fit on it better.

Besides the Mojave I ride a 1999 TL1000R Superbike and I have a Toyota MR2 Spyder.

I've been riding streetbikes since I was fifteen, but I don't have a lot of off-road experience.

Ok, on w/ the questions:

Is there an online version of the factory owners manual?

What tire pressures should I be running for typical trail riding?

When changing oil and filter, how much oil do I use?

Any other Mojave info is greatly appreciated.

Use this link for a pic of all my toys!:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../Mojave001.jpg

Looks like we've got a pretty good forum here...

Old 04-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

First off welcome to the forums. The smoking could be from the seals but if the guy was in the motor why wouldnt he put the seals back in.... I think it could be the seals or the rings.. thats a hard situation. I would later in life take it apart and check for yourself to be sure of the problem. The owners manny im not to sure on if there is one online. I would think there is one. Tire pressure would depend on the tires on the machine. Stock or aftermarket. I ride a lot of silty, sandy, woods terrain and have no problem running a few pounds under suggested tire pressure... i like my tires a bit squshy. Im running mudsharks now with a 4 ply rating. Changing oil and filter just look on the right side of the quad (sitting on quad) there should be a little window on the side of the motor by where you would put oil in the bike. That window is for knowing how much oil is in the bike. The oil should be 1/2 filled to 3/4 filled in window. Cycle works racing specializes in mojave parts and accesories. There website is www.cycleworksracing.net... If you have any technical questions you could talk to Greg, the owner and he will help you out. Hope all this answered most of your questions about the mojave.
Kenny

Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

yeah I'd say seals OR rings, do a compression check and go from there