Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 BF 750 runs extremely hot.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 03:21 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 05 BF 750 runs extremely hot.....

I'm still breaking my 05 BF 750 in. I only have 7hrs on the machine. I've noticed the engine kicks out alot of heat and sometimes when idling, I can see steam billowing off the radiator and rising out the front of the machine? I'm assuming this is normal for this engine, but this thing must really kick off some heat when riding in hot conditions. The radiator fan kicks off/on quite a bit more than I expected. Do all the BF 750's run this hot?

Old 05-12-2006 | 03:51 PM
Range Rover

How much steam? I don't understand why it would be steaming unless you got the radiator wet somehow, or letting it idle for long periods of time. You really should cut down on your idle time if you are getting it that hot. I would recommend idling for warm-up, and shut it down when you stop. Your fan is kicking on a lot because when you are idling, your cooling system isn't getting any air flow across the radiator, therefore the fan has to kick on to pull air across. When you are moving, your fan will be a lot less likely to operate as often because the airflow coming across the radiator will help it cool.

There are a few guys that have had heat trouble by shorting out the fan by taking it swimming while the fan is running, but if yours is kicking on periodically then it should be alright. There are a few ways to cool them down if you need to. Switching to Synthetic oil will help a little, and installing an oil cooler will really help to cool things down internally. Many guys have noted that their fan doesn't have to kick on nearly as often if you switch to a VDI Copperhead CDI.

Old 05-12-2006 | 04:07 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. Not alot of steam, just noticable. I'm sure it was because I was riding at low speeds (5-15mph) around my yard just testing out 2wd/4wd low/high etc... Your right about not getting enough air through the radiator at low speeds and idle. You can definitely feel the heat of the engine and exaust pipe on these machines though! I also read that some guys replace the engine coolant with "engine ice" and they say that can reduce the temperature by 20 degrees.

Old 05-12-2006 | 05:56 PM
Range Rover

they run very hot till broke in about 500miles then they cool down some .sure it wasen,t just stuff burning off .just make sure your fan is working ..now get out there and giveer

Old 05-14-2006 | 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

any little bit of moisture can make her steam, it doesnt take much. mine does it as well, i to thought it was odd but as its breaking in it hasnt done it lately. the fan will run alot but decrease in time unless she is just idling. whatever you do, i dont suggest riding in shorts. but it does cool down over time. Engine Ice works wonders. i havnt put it in my brute yet, but i put it in my rubicon which was overheating constantly with the smallest amount of mud on the rad. since the change she hasnt overheated once.

Old 05-14-2006 | 08:20 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response. Makes me feel a better knowing that mine isn't the only one that runs hot at the start. I know kawi recommends putting at least 10 hrs. on the machine before the intial service period. Is this enough? How many miles/hrs. have others put on their BF 750's before they check everything for the first time? Also, do most dealers caring Engine Ice? I have never seen it before.

Old 05-14-2006 | 11:23 AM
Range Rover

how many miles do you have on the 750 .....i changed mine at 100 miles and at 500 .change all diffs allso and if you get the dealer to do the service check your front diff oil when you get it back mine was dam near empty aaaaaaaaa

Old 05-14-2006 | 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

some dealers carry Engine Ice and some dont. my local dealer has it but that dealer is crap, and the the one that i normally go to doesnt. i got it through Rocky Mountain ATV. i think Dennis Kirk has it as well. its like $18 for a half gallon, made by cycle logic, its blue. good for year round, to -23 F i believe. 10hrs is good for initial service. i think in like 700 miles i've changed my engine oil/filter like 2-3 times and the front and rear diff oils like 4 times, just because when you do alot of wet/muddy riding i think its just a better practice incase water got in there some how.

Old 05-14-2006 | 02:54 PM
|
Trailblazer

Sweet. Found the link online. I'll be ordering some Engine Ice. Thanks again for the advice.