Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 220 in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000 | 02:04 PM
|
Pro Rider

Does any one have any tips on riding the 220 in snow? all this quad wants to do is spin it's tires and not move at all. So what I did was add about 100 pounds of bricks to the back rack so that I could actually get some traction. This atv does actually move pretty well in snow though, I went riding for about 2 hours in snow up to the front headlights, it's funny too because the front end looks like a plow with the snow flying all over and being pushed forward like that and over the front fenders. how much would chains cost for the stock tires? That should help quite a bit.... thanks!!

Old 11-22-2000 | 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well, ive never done anything like putting a shiate load of bricks on the rack, but i have found that simply shifting my 130 pounds of weight as far back as possible whenver in snow helps a ton. As for putting chains on, i wouldn't reccomend it because it limits your speed for trail riding etc, and poses the threat that if hit with enough force or if going too fast, they could puncture the tire or fly off. But, if the only thing you're going to do is plow snow (not a great idear with a 220) chains are the way to go.

I can make it through about 6 inches of Michigan snow without a problem but anyhting more than that im sliding and spinning all over creation.

One other question here... Does ur 220 make an odd gear whine or click type of sound when u shift from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st gears? Mine does, but i think its from riding it hard over the years. Also, have u had a problem with the engine leaking oil from hidden places etc? I was up north riding around and the engine acted liek it was going to shut off going about 40 mph and then when i was at about 20 mph it went back to normal. When i stopped to check out what was wrong, i found a bunch of oil mixed with oil on top of the black transmission case. I traced it back up to somewhere in the upper left end of the engine. Leaves me mystified. Theres no cracks in the engine casing, but maybe i gotta put new gaskets on!?!?!

Old 11-22-2000 | 09:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

no, my bayou doesn't do that transmission thing. But it does have a loud engine tick. Mine also has a ton of engine oil on the black transmission case. I couldn't find the source of all the oil either.

Old 11-23-2000 | 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 95 220 with Stryker tires on back and bald stock tires on front. I just got back from Elk hunting in Colorado. We drove through snow the whole time. Anything over 6 inches was dificult. I also had a hard time keeping it on the road, it was very hard to steer in deep snow. I kept weight on the back and when it started to get stuck I just rocked the machine side to side which seemed to help get you moving when your tires were just spinning. Unfortunately by trying to keep weight on back the front was too light and then it would not steer unless I sat way up on the front. It did a lot better on hard pack snow. Anytime the machine got in over a foot of snow I had to get off and pick up the front end to point it in the correct direction. Also another factor was we were at 10,000 feet elevation so the machine did not have much power.