Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HOW DO I MAKE THE KFX700 MORE STABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO I MAKE THE KFX700 MORE STABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS

Has anyone got suggestions on how to improve the overall stability of the KFX 700 at high speeds. I have got aftermarket shocks but that doesnt solve the problem. I have read that it is a easy problem to fix but no further information was given. Maybe wider A arms or spacers?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PAULQUAD
Has anyone got suggestions on how to improve the overall stability of the KFX 700 at high speeds. I have got aftermarket shocks but that doesnt solve the problem. I have read that it is a easy problem to fix but no further information was given. Maybe wider A arms or spacers?

How high of a speed are you talking about?

I would start with looking into how well your shocks are set up (Both front and rear) to work together and with the stock suspension etc. because investing in aftermarket shocks should have addressed the problem.

What type of complaint do you have with the stability? Is it darting around left to right, or just oversteering from any input from the bars or even back thru them from bumps in the road etc?

It could be something as simple as toe settings too so dont over look the easy stuff.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anything over about 40mph. It feels like the steering becomes to direct or sensitive. I need a lot of concentration to keep it from going out of control in a straight line.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your alignment could be off, you did just put on new shocks. If the front end checks out, installing a steering dampner will help out.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like 440EX026 said don't over look the easy stuff. Check the air pressure in the tires, wouldn't hurt to check the balance of the tires and rims also. good luck. =]

Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

installing a steering dampner will help out.
Not sure if everyone would agree but I think that a dampner is a good idea even without the handling issues.

I know I wont even consider not having one.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

im only 15 and my V is easy as hell to keep in a strait line with one hand on pave going way over 40mph

Old 06-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno I've ridden my Father's KFX700 wide open and I never felt anything unstable. It's too heavy to be unstable. My KFX400 is a lot scarier at top speed than the 700 seemed to be. The 400 is so light that it sort of floats along at top speed while the 700 seemed solid and easy to control.

I agree with the others that something must be off on your machine. Make sure all the front end components are tight, tires are all at proper PSI, and your not pushing too much toe-in or toe-out. Check for bent rims or loose wheel bearings too.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Something is fubard on your V. My V is very stable at any speed.
Like others have said, check the air pressure, wheel bearings, and rim run-out.
If all of these things are ok then you need to check the frame and A arms for bends. Toe won't make a vehicle feel unstable. Castor will make a vehicle a white knuckle ride. If all else fails you will have to put a castor/camber gauge on it and see if your quad is on spec.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

I would say your alignment. If it is too unstable for you and everything is fine with the wheeler you can change the camber of your wheels to fit your type of riding.

Quick Reply: HOW DO I MAKE THE KFX700 MORE STABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS