Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Ex Suzukiholic, New Brute Owner, New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ex Suzukiholic, New Brute Owner, New to Forum

Hi all. I have been reading these forums all during last weekend. You helped me decide on my new quad. I just purchased an 06 Kingquad about 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I had an accident climbing a hill and it came over on me. I was climbing a hill with muddy tires, almost to the top all 4 wheels started spinning. I stopped and the quad started to slide down backwards. The rear tires hit a dry spot and gripped, and the front end came up. Being a new rider I didn't think to release the brakes to stop the front end from coming up. Anyway, it came up and over and landed on it's back pretty hard. I was ok, jumped out of the way, but the bike had $2500 in damage and the dealer said it could be three months to get parts. The frame was one of the parts. So, I traded it in to the dealer and purchased an 05 750 brute force. The tierod recall has been performed and the rear wiring connector recall has been performed. I had them switch to ITP mudlites before I took it home. So far I have put about 1 mile on it. First outing will be Saturday. So far I like this bike better than the KQ. I do notice that it seems to run pretty hot. I had my first ride (all of 20 minutes) in an empty corn field with shorts. Left leg got pretty warm. I won't be riding normally with shorts. I was just trying to get some break in time on the bike.
Anyway, blah, blah, blah. Hi to everyone and I will post results of my first real ride on my new quad on Sunday.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new bike. Even though i dont own a brute ive been on here enough to tell ya what ya need to know for the most part. During the brutes break in period they run really hot. I hear after the break in is over is when it starts to cool down. Also, the kawasaki transmission is different then you old kingquad. To keep from buring your belt up use LOW gear as much as possible such as when mudding, climbing, pulling, etc. You should be good if you do that. Also, every once in awhile you might have to adjust your belt. YOu can go to nyrocs site (just google nyroc) to help you with this. GO to the teck tips section and it has many tips for you. Enjoy.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on your new purchase, and I am sorry to hear about your riding accident. I bought a Brute Force 650 3 months ago and I already have 1000 miles on her. This is my first ATV I have ever owned, and I am very happy with it. I love the power all the way through the powerband and the fit and finish is excellent on the machine.

Your leg will continue to get hot on the right side, at least that is my experience with my 650. I ride with shorts, and yes it is a little warm, but nothing too uncomfortable. Alwaysride is correct: Always run the Kawi belt in low gear in all mudding situations, uphills, etc. In fact, even on level ground with no mud or anything, I run mine in low in speeds under about 20 mph. You will lose a little gas mileage and the engine really revs, but it is a surefire way to increase belt life by quite a bit. I have heard of people on this forum getting 3-4000 miles on a belt. That is pretty good and I intend to stretch out belt life as much as I can.

Secondly, you did good getting new tires right away. I am still running the stock Dunlops and they are a terrible tire, but I am waiting until funds are freed up for Mudlites.

Third, remember to run the Kawachem Wet Brake stuff in the rear or Mobil 424 and in the front diff I run 10w40. Some will say to run 20w40 in the front, and that is probably okay too.

Fourth, when taking out the front diff bolt, be very very careful. It will strip very easily as many machines were overtightened at the factory. Mine was stripped, but the dealership removed it under warranty.

Fifth, if you are on a budget, check out the Moose Module and if you have more funds, then the Copperhead is the best module to get to increase performance. I have the Moose module (80-100 bucks) and it really give you a down low oomph under 10 mph.

I am not sure if all of this applies to your machine as mine is a 650. Hope this helps.

Bubba

Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

Bubba, those are great tips. I am also new to atving, I only have ten hours on my macghine. I bought a 650i, and I love it. Its in the shop right now getting a new breaker switch for the radiator. The machine started overheating. I am glad to hear that this is normal for these machines to overheat when they are new. I am also interested in running water wetter....what do you think. Where do I apply it?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

This forum has a great help to me, so I love helping out others with my limited knowledge. As far as the Watter Wetter, that is somethingI am highly interested in running as I have nothing but good about it. I think one adds a small amount to the coolant mixture, otherwise I am going to research it more today.

I haven't had any overheating issues per se, but when it is above 80 or so outside, the radiator fan certainly does it job and is pretty on the whole day. The warm leg thing is no big deal and my legs are hot on my father-in-law's Arctic Cat 500 on the left side because of the exhaust.

Overall, Brute is a solid machine and doesn't cost a lot compared to other manufacturers.

If anyone finds out the place to purchase the stuff, let me know.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I have definately heard I should run in low when going slow or mudding, climbing, or towing. Great advice. As far as a module, I am going to run her stock this summer and see what I think then. I heard a ton of bad info about the stock tires, so I replaced them before I even took the bike off the showroom floor. They gave me a good trade-in on the stock tires. $40 per tire. That paid for the installation and a little bit of the tires themselves. That water wet stuff sounds interesting. I am going to research that and see if I can find it on the net.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Engine Ice is what i would recommend. its blue coolant. can make your engine run up to 25 degrees cooler, is premixed ready to go, safe to like -30 degrees, so its ok for all year round. my rubicon overheated constasntly, since the change it hasnt overheated once. as soon as the brute is ready for a coolant change, this is what i will be putting in.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ALZATV
Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I have definately heard I should run in low when going slow or mudding, climbing, or towing. Great advice. As far as a module, I am going to run her stock this summer and see what I think then. I heard a ton of bad info about the stock tires, so I replaced them before I even took the bike off the showroom floor. They gave me a good trade-in on the stock tires. $40 per tire. That paid for the installation and a little bit of the tires themselves. That water wet stuff sounds interesting. I am going to research that and see if I can find it on the net.
Buy ethier a dynatek cdi or the VDI... the brutes highly detuned in the timing department all throughout the power band and that will take out every bit of it and it will have way more power stock just from one plug and play mod.

I guarentee you won't take it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

hi alzatv welcome to the force.remember to keep the rad as clean as poss.set your shocks to your type of rideing mine are set at 3 on the front 2 on the back .the dynatec cdi is a great add on but you may have to jet the carbs...did your dealer realy fix the buss connectors ???goog luck your going to love the brute

Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

If the dyna cdi gives you a miss there is no amount of jetting that will fix it... this has been proven on the dyno. This is because the dyna cdi is made for the 650 and they just re-badged it for the 750 so the timing maps are a little different due to the fact that the 750 has lower compression.

I'd spend the extra and get the VDI but even with the miss on my dyna i would still never ever ever go back to the stock cdi.

Quick Reply: Ex Suzukiholic, New Brute Owner, New to Forum