Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV action magazine inaccuracies

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV action magazine inaccuracies

Was reading the article about the shootout between BF 650i, KQ, and Rincon. They show the specs on the BF 650i as having 649cc's and having the old SRA 32mm carbs. How do they screw these things up? Ya just have to look on the web-site for cryin out loud. It is impressive though that the 633cc motor out drags the KQ 695cc and the Honda 675cc efi's. Also, the mag says the capacity on the BF is 4.6 gallons, the website says 5.4 gallons. They gave the BF a third place finish as well. I would take the extra power, lower msrp, higher fuel capacity(even though it needs it to compete with the efi's efficiency I spose) over the other two quads even if they are so called more comfy.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I like dirtwheels the most

Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I like reading some of those rags for entertainment, but I do not place much credence to what they say. I have seen them contradict themselves over and over with regard to ranking machines. One week the Brute is the best, the next day the Rincon is the greatest. I think they are all swayed too much by advertising money. I also think their testing doesn't reflect how the average Joe would ride.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

Bubba123, I could not agree with you more. I believe that it is all about the money and whoever cough's the most that month will have the best review to boot.
Mud

Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Come to think of it, it sure seems like I've seen all the brands rank best at one point or another. . .

Old 06-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I agree and disagree with you guys. I subscribe to Quad, Dirtwheels, ATVrider, and I used to have ATVaction as well until a few months ago when I had to cut at least one out of the picture. (I also read Money, SmartMoney, and Barron's and enough is enough...)

Without the advertisers there wouldn't be the revenue to keep the magazine afloat. Without the subscribers, there would be ZERO reason for the magazine to be in business. Speak loud enough and we actual control things not the advertisers.

Just like you guys I take what they say with 18 grains of salt. I believe the best "shootouts" are the ones that have a lengthy section at the end with the pros comments on exactly why one was chosen and one wasn't. I don't like the comparisons that really don't explain why something is ranked #1 and why something else came in 4th...or ones that do it very vaguely. There was a recent big bore shootout (with the exception of Pol 800, BF 750, and the Outty 800) in an ATVRider that I thought was well done. The write-up's at the end showed exactly who voted for what AND WHY. (that shootout was between the Rincon, KQ, Prairie, Grizz, and Outty 650)

As I narrow down my choices I think the magazines (WITH the commentary) offer a starting point. From there it is all about what you want and feel as a rider.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Good points Stocks. I do take them with a grain of salt, just like I do with the car magazines. If you look at Car and Driver, etc. they always build up the Asian cars so much more than the American cars one month, and the next time, they will pick something from Dodge as the best thing ever, etc.

I wish there was an ATV type consumer reports publication that accepts no advertising. That would be pretty cool.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

yeah bubba123 I agree. I also wish we had a decent ATV show on TV. I personally think the gear and gadget section on ATVtelevision is laughable and I am a rookie. The other funny thing about the show (that I can think of right now) is Chaz's 2 minute segment on a different atv that he intros each show. He loves each one. How can that be? That is def a part of advertising I hate.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Those responsible for programming are missing a sizeable audience by not having a decent ATV program on television. I live in northern Wisconsin and ATVs are such a part of life here. Every other person has one and the same holds true in many other states. ATV riders in my state pump millions upon millions of money into the economy, that is why it is so ATV friendly out here.

The bottom line is always money. But I think a quality hour long program could be made each week that is not an infomercial for branc x's new ATV. I want to see real riders in real world scenarios in different locales, showing what these machines can and can't do. I want a real tech section that shows some of the stuff Nyroc and those guys highlight on their website, but set to video. ATVing shows no signs of slowing down and people are spending lots of disposable income on them.

If I had the startup money, I would love to start a program.

Quick Reply: ATV action magazine inaccuracies