Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Thoughts on a winch....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a winch....

Well I got stuck yesterday on my BF in some swamp mud by myself. Had to call a friend to come get me out with a winch. I need one but right now can't afford a warn winch. What do you guys think about a Venom 3000lb winch. Any pros or cons with it. Also what would happen if the winch goes under water. Thanks for the replies.... Shane

Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know anything about the venom winch. But when the winch gets under the water you have to get off and look for the winch.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think V2 rider on here has the Venom and he really likes it. I was considering the Venom cuz they have em on Ebay for a really good price. From what i have heard they are made in the much the same way as the Warn, but for hundreds less. I heard that you should get the synthetic rope and you are good to go. As far as submerging the winch or getting it real wet, I am not sure. I know Warn sells a couple of Winches that are specifically waterproof. I have heard of winches shorting out in water.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do a search on winch.
Here is one post.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...orilla%20winch

I ordered the 2500 gorilla, will be here next week[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have a milemarker PE2500 and it works great. You can get it for $189 from just about every where. I got mine from the winchdepot.com and they gave me free shipping and half off the mounting plate, It was like $225.00 delivered. I know that it will work under water, I got stuck and could not get to the clutch release so I backed the line out about 20ft then pulled out my quad. When I got home I ran the line in and out 2 or 3 time to heat up the motor to make sure if any water got into the housing was dryed up. The only down fall in that it does not come with a handle bar rocker but is well worth the money and is name brand, we have them on some of our hummers over here in the desert. Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm happy with the venom, seems to work well. Only caution I would have is that I put 26" rubber on stock wheels and lost clearence turning full right. I had to trade with my wife for her 2.5 and put my 3.0 on her vinson. I have 650sra so not sure the difference between the independant. For the dollars I think they are a fine product.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ordered a Venom 3000lb winch yesterday. From all the post I read on it most people seemed satisfied.. I got if off of EBAY for $164.99 including freight. I guess time will tell. I really don't think I will use it that much but the more comfortable I get on the BF, the more I will get stuck. When I get it and put it on I will let you guys know what I think of it. Thanks for the replys, Shane

Old 06-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed a Venom 2500 on my wife's Prairie 360 recently. It works, but I haven't tested it out in the boonies yet. I got it on eBay for $89 and figured it was worth a try.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Woods Power Winch and its awesome. Its a 3000lb. Its been underwater and everything and still works great. Pulls damn good. I paid about $200 for it. A friend got me a deal on it. They are sealed up better than a Warn. Warns are really expensive but really good.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

The advice on getting synthetic winch line is very good advice.........you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a winch....