Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

IT'S COMMING!!!! THE KFX 450

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IT'S COMMING!!!! THE KFX 450

Originally posted by: XtremeRacer
Well, wouldnt you think that since there is an aluminum frame, that it would make up the weight for all the extras?
Aluminum frames aren't really much lighter like everyone seems to think, the advantage to an aluminum frame is that it can be made to handle better, the aluminum frames are stiffer.

And the engine will not be much different from their MX450 engine. "All New" means ALL NEW, the majority of the engine is the same, it would not be economical to use a completely different engine, and it would be poor business. So the engine is NOT all new, it is just an advertisement.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a aluminum frame isnt much lighter that a steel one. how is that possible? Steel is alot heavier than aluminum

Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

So a aluminum frame isnt much lighter that a steel one. how is that possible? Steel is alot heavier than aluminum

Go look at the specs of a Steel MX bike, and then look at the specs of a aluminum MX bike. Example: CR250 vs. RM250, there might be a 2 or 3 pound difference, and that is probably not even due to the frame.

Like I said, Aluminum frames are better because of handling, not really weight.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

But, dont you you think that they added the extra's like reverse, electric start and such forth because they had enough weight taken off from the lightweight frame?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Is there any proffesional out there who can tell me steel isnt much heavier than alluminum.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 PM
US Army lifer

OK, it's common sense time. Steel, by volume, is about 4X as heavy as aluminum (0.10 vs 0.38 lbs/cu in). Now, the reason why aluminum frames aren't that much lighter than steel is due to the yield strengths of each material. Aluminum is inherently weaker than steel, so you need more of it to equal the strength of a given amount of steel. Case in point: look at the difference in the amount of material in the main spars between the 05 KX250F and the 06. You need to use a lot of aluminum to match the yield strength of steel. When you use more material, your weight increases. There is no way around this. That's why the differences between aluminum and steel frames aren't that dramatic. Most weight loss is due to using more aluminum components over steel in situations where the yield strength is never approached. Make sense?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

But, dont you you think that they added the extra's like reverse, electric start and such forth because they had enough weight taken off from the lightweight frame?
Reverse and E-start weigh a lot more than the 2 or 3 pounds they may have lost due to the aluminum frame. If the machine is really light, then it is because the lost weight somewhere else, not in the frame.

Good explanation 69HemiGTX

Old 07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the new KFX 450 will be pretty cool. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how every time there is a new quad coming out, there are plenty of fortune tellers out there willing to say how it will "dominate". Same was said about the LTR450 last year, and yet, at every starting grid at the pro levels, the colors are primarily RED and BLUE.

Don't get me wrong - I 'm glad there's more to offer from more manufacturers. I can't wait to see new stuff - it only make it better for all of us.

Just don't try to tell me how great something "will" be... I suppose there are some people here that can tell the taste of a chicken before it's cooked too...

Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how every time there is a new quad coming out, there are plenty of fortune tellers out there willing to say how it will "dominate". Same was said about the LTR450 last year, and yet, at every starting grid at the pro levels, the colors are primarily RED and BLUE.
Well that is only because the LT450 is still new.....

If you notice both Jones and Gust are starting to win just about every national MX race on the LT450.

The thing is, as the pro level it's ALL the rider... all the machines are pretty equal at that stage of competition.

Ricky Carmichael has dominated on every color except Yamaha and KTM, but I'm sure if he rode one he would dominate on that too...

Quick Reply: IT'S COMMING!!!! THE KFX 450