Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kfx starting problem. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 10:07 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default kfx starting problem. Help!!!

I have a kfx 440 and it wont start. With everything finished, it runs great. I was driving one night and I parked it in the garage. The next day when I went to ride it, it wouldnt start. The spark plug had alot of spark when I took it out. When I put it back in it still doesnt work. I bought a new plug just to see, still nothing. The gas is clean, I can see the gas moving to the carb with my new clear gas lines. Not even starting fluid will start it. When I remove the spark plug after trying to start it, it is completely dry, that is a problem. I copletely cleaned out the carb, the jets are all adjusted correctly, everything is ok, but it wont run. No gas is hitting the spark plug. Any suggestions.........

Old 07-03-2006 | 02:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If your carb is good to go and you have good spark I would look at the valve gear. Check the compression and see what you get.

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:25 PM
|
Trailblazer

Yea, it has plenty compression, everything works, it just doesnt seem to run.

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:52 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Well if the plug isn't getting wet then it must be something in your carb.

If it has compression, spark, and it is getting gas, it will run. Unless it is out of time, then it will just run like poo.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2006 | 05:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

the problem is that there is no gas going to the plug, its dry. and nothing looks wrong with the carb, float and everything looks ok. so whts wrong with the carb?

Old 07-03-2006 | 05:29 PM
Range Rover

One of your jets are clogged then. Thats the only thing that it can be if theres no gas getting to the plug. If gas is running through every where on the bike and your tuned "perfect" then it should run, and if it ran the night before like a beast, it should run. My bet is a clogged jet.

Old 07-03-2006 | 05:38 PM
|
Trailblazer

All right, thanks, ill give it atry and see if it works out.

Old 07-03-2006 | 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

XtremeRacer the reason I asked you about the compression was this:

If you have a busted rocker or a flat cam, then it won't let the fuel/air mix in the engine.
You could pour all the fuel you want down the intake and the plug won't see a drop of it. That is where I was headed. If you got good compression then that lead is out.

Another long shot I have seen before is a clogged pipe.

These are REAL long shots and I don't think either one of these was your problem. I just talked about them because you are so sure about the carb.

That being said, your problem is in the carb!!!! Ha ha ha. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I agree with the others; something is up with the carb. It's always good to have a friend look it over at the same time.........four eyes are better than two. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

Old 07-04-2006 | 12:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Are you positive the floats are good? You won't get a drop of gas to the motor if they are stuck in the up position. I also think the prob has to be in the carb somewhere, if not the floats then a passage/jet is clogged somewhere.

Old 07-05-2006 | 10:56 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, after hearing what you guys had to say, I went out and took apart the carb. Took out jets, bowl, butterfly, throtle body, everthing. It was inspected by both me and a friend. I cleaned it completely out, used a whole can of carb and choke cleaner. I put it back together and still nothing. I just dont get it, everything is fine, I including others have looked it over many times, and it is just weird. I have never seen anything like it. Why wont it run? Could it have anything to do with electrical? Though what I will probably do is just buy a new carb.

Quick Reply: kfx starting problem. Help!!!