Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

which big bore to buy this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which big bore to buy this weekend

Jason, Congrats on the new 650i purchase, I think you made the right choice, I don't think you can go wrong with the 650i or 750, enjoy! Don't forget the break in period, you probably shouldnt be popping to many front tire raises yet!!! later, kk

Old 07-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

i see we're back to the "why not spend a little more and get the 750?" thing.

well guys, i could have bought a 750 for what my camo 650i cost me, and i would do it again. i am not saying the 650i is a better machine, but it fits my riding style better, and made me a huge fan. i would not trade my 650i for any other machine out there. period.

if i was a racer or mudder i might feel differently. but the 650i will run with the 750 despite what MINI has to say. i have never read a negative post about the 650i FROM SOMEONE WHO ACCUALLY RODE ONE.

Jason, the module (Highlifter, Moose, ect...) will give the low end boost. i havent' put one in yet. haven't needed any more power. i might get a VDI down the road to keep the heat down. several posters have said the aftermarket CDIs will produce less engine heat. but, i'm getting off track. think about some tires.

monty

Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

why do the cdi's have less engine heat? could that be a perception thing? i would get one almost just for that cause my wife was complaining about it. ( the added power never killed anyone)
however, about adding power with a module, is that going to wear on the clutch faster with that more power right off the line?

seperate question. i bought a 4 year warranty from kawi. does that cover clutch and belt. anyone know for sure?
they promise you everything but real world experience is what i'm looking for.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

not sure on warranty or the heat thing. i never notice less heat. you can try a heat rap which will promote rust on ya exaust or you can go out and have the pipe ceramic coated @ jet hot. as far as the wear and tear........well more horse power is more strain on everything. Use the high and low as you are suppose to and everything will be fine the CDI is not that major of a thing. you might go threw belts a lil more.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

i believe the CDI is supposed to lower temps by running more efficiently. the de-tuned stock cdi is less powerful and less effecient, but used the same amount of fuel. the difference is the stock cdi heats the engine with the energy in the fuel instead of moving the atv with it.

just my theory.

i think the warranty will only cover defects, not normal wear. i dunno about that for sure because i let my warranty go (i voided it a lot anyway)

i do not think the cdi will accelerate clutch wear. it might lessen it. it might engage faster with more power instead of slipping for a tad first. this is just another theory of mine. i dunno for sure.

anyway, how do you like the 650i?

monty

Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 AM
GOA
Weekend Warrior

Rumor has it that the late 06 and the 07 750i has the same caster changes as the 650i. I can't confirm this but if it's true then the steering issue won't be as big of a debate. However the 650i is still an inch shorter.

I had a hard choice to make between the 650i and the 750i. I knew for sure that the steering was changed on the 650i and I've ridden a 05 750i. The only real criticism that I had with the 05 750i was how hard the steering was.

I know this sounds lame, but the fact that the 07 650i comes in silver and the 07 750i doesn't (They were out of the 06 750i, in silver) helped make my choice. That and the 1000 less price tag (in Canadian dollars). I had to ask myself was the 750i , really 10 percent more fun than the 650i? The price tag was 10 percent more. My decision was for a 2007 650i in silver.

By the way it's very fast. Most importantly it's fast in the acceleration rather than just the top end. Most of the riding I've been doing is on trails, and acceleration is far more important than top end speed. The 650i still goes like a bat out of hell at the top end too.

Sure it's not as fast as an Outlander 800. But unlike the outlander, The Brute force actually looks good (not like the yellow metal Tonka dump truck I had as a kid). Also the 800 was $3000 more than the 650i. I'm also a bit suspect of the frame on the 800. That could be me just being paranoid but I'd like to see how it stands up first. The 650i is built off the 750i but with the corrections to original flaws (steering, electrical, an inch lower). It's really a 3rd year quad.

As for the Yamaha. It's almost 14 grand MRSP. Versus. 9,900 MRSP for the 650i in Silver. 10,900 Grand for the 750i, and over 13 grand for the Outlander 800.

I also looked at the Honda Rincon. Frankly my choice was between a Brute and the honda. However the price of the Honda, the fact it's not a v-twin, and the transmission on the Honda, helped me decide on the Brute.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

GOA, get us some pics of the new silver 650i. Congrats on the purchase.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: minimus
Hands down I would spend 500 bucks more and get the 750I. 8 HP more at crank which is a lot when you are looking at the difference between a 43 and 51 Hp machine at crank.
This BS that the 750i does not handle as well as 650i because of some mysterious off set difference in the suspension is just that BS. Add some aftermarket tires and wheels and the only difference you will see is speed. The 750i will take a 650i any day, anywhere. The KQ is as close to a gutless wonder Rincon as you can get.

There is only 3.6 HP at crank difference form the BF650i to the BF750.

The BF650i is a different machine than the BF750. Lower center of gravity is one, along with some others like the air box thing, and also somthing with the KEBC. Not totaly sure on the details.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jasons650i
no handling problems here by the way. donuts may be tough but powerslides are not. the jury is still out. we don't even have our first hour on it.
You just need to get use to the bike. I have video of my cousin doing dounts on pavement with the tires smoking on a BF750. It is amazing, and you have to be half crazy to try it. Its a sink or swim kind of thing. You either get it going and it is amazing to watch or your bike flips and you get thrown through the air.

I will try and get it posted some where. I know some people are not going to believe it.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
GOA
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Kawifan.
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. They do have some pictures up on the kawi web site. On the website the BF650i in Silver looks darker than it really is. The silver is exactly the same as the silver on the 06 750i. Pretty much the only visible difference is the front grill, and the fact that it says 650i on the decals. I like both front grills. I think the 650i one might look a bit sportier though.

I was planning on taking the BF650i out in the next few days. As luck would have it, the crown molding that popped off a tooth the other day, also requires a root canal. So hopefully on Saturday. This will be my second ride on it. No scratches so far. It's the first scratch thats the worst.

Quick Reply: which big bore to buy this weekend