Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Winter riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter riding

I am planning on doing something to my 750 for winter riding. The main problem I have is keeping my hands warm. On my Polaris I used plastic hand guards to cut the wind and it worked for me. Is there any hand guards that fit well on the brute? Should I try the mitten type? Not sure I like the look, but it would probably work good. Or should I get some hand warmers? What have you guys done and what works good?
Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winter riding

i think moose makes one(hard plastic ones) for the brute, i know they make them for the prairie and its basically the same lay out. i havnt tried hand warmers but would probably be a good idea. as for the mitten ones, i hate them. i had soft ones with like sheep skin in them but i could never find the controls and they always bunched up. my friend had the harder foam ones on his polaris and he liked them but again it made it difficult to find the controls. sounds stupid since you are familiar with the bike but something about them annoys me.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Winter riding

Seeing how youre also from MN, dont even think about the devices which block the wind...you need things which generate heat. Hand warmers and thumb warmers, are the only thing that works, when it gets below 30. Your gloves can even get wet, and the hand warmers will work...the others will leave you with ice cubes.
Hooking them up, isnt all that bad, most come with very good instructions, and all the parts needed.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Default Winter riding

Thanks for the response. As I said the plastic guards have been enough for me in the past with just regular riding gloves. (I work outside, kinda used to the weather). I will have to look into these options though. I was thinking of changing my grips anyhow, so maybe I could install the heated ones.

How do the Moose hand guards mount? There is limited mounting area on the kawi's.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Winter riding

Some good skiing gloves work well for me here in the north east for winter time riding. Good insulated coveralls and a ski mask as well. Warm boots are a must as well. If your feet or hands get cold you are in trouble.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winter riding

I agree. I regular snomobile gloves, and felt fine. This year i will have handguards to see if there is more improvement.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winter riding

i second the hot grips. usually two settings and hot is usually too hot, but medium is great. get the thumb warmer, too. with a little thought, these can all be wired to the same swich, so one switch will controll grips and thumb warmer. you will still want gloves, but a thin pair of gloves is all you will need for most rides.

monty

Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winter riding

winter time igo nowhere without a fairing and kimpex hand warmer the one with the thermostat switch regulates real good the one with the high or low switch is either too hot or too cold with this combo i just wear thin tig welding gloves at -10

Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Winter riding

Don't forget the heated face shield for your helmet too.

I don't have heated handle grips but I do use the hand warmers that you put in your gloves. They work fine. A good pair of boots are a must too. I have -100 degree Farenheit Sorrell's, totally awesome.

Or just get one of these [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
http://www.atvcabs.com/Cabs/Shady_Bug.htm