Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX400 Throttle getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX400 Throttle getting stuck

Hello all,

I have an 05' KFX400 and the throttle seems to be sticking. It's certainly something within the throttle body or carb because (with the engine off) I can hear like a rubber on metal sound which makes kind of a squeak.

If I push the throttle lever all the way open and then shut it, it does not close all the way and it takes some time for the engine rev's to come back down to idle. It's a hit or miss type of thing with it operating correctly so it's defintely sticking. It's been this way for a few months now through the winter season. We thought it might of had something to do with outside tempurature.

It was brought in the shop to fix it from sticking but it has come right back. Is there anything I can spray or do to lubricate the throttle so it will not stick anymore?

I have never attempted to do this before but I am so inclined. I have taken panels off other machines before so I would be willing to do the same with the KFX400 if you could tell me step by step.

Is this something so complicated that I am better off taking it back to a dealer to take care of it?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

you probally need to replace your cable....it is mostlikely frayed some where causing it to stick....

Old 08-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

All right,

I have taken apart my KFX and have removed the Top-Chamber, Throttle (16005A) what I found was a gold disc which the cable had wrapped around it to move it clockwise to open and counter clockwise to close.

By moving the disc manually I could still feel the resistance as before and I actually saw the disc slowly rotating after letting it go from open throttle down to close. Of course I will feel resistance; however it’s not a very smooth motion.

I tried spraying WD-40 inside to see no improvement. Is there someway to adjust it?

There is a nut holding the disc in place with a spring attached behind it. This entire module is held in by two gold Allen key bolts attached to the carb. From what I can see from the parts explosion this module is not replaceable. I would have to buy a whole new carb.

I don't think I should go any further so that I don't cause irreversible damage or to the point where I can't get it back together again.

I am going to try and take a pic of this module and then go chat with the service counter about this.

Any ideas or advice is always welcome.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

i have an 05 kfx400 too. i think i know exactly what it is. i had the same prob when i first had mine. i even brought it in. they said the cable just needed a lube. i said i didnt like it when i went to pick it up an they then said they would clean it out an there was particles in the slide. when i got it backit worked a lil bit but then it started acting up again. i searched for the problem myself an found that it was this little sensor on the side that was doin it. when the sensor was off (unscrewed), it was as smooth as it could be. when back on it was rough. i the lubed inside the sensor and played around with it an mine works fine. just move it left an right real quick wit some lube an itll be fine. hope that helps.