Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2wd/4wd actuator

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

03 kvf 650

My actuator on the front diff died and I ordered a new one from the bike bandit. Trouble is I think I ordered the one for the KEBC by accident. I checked all the parts and I can't find the one for the front diff.

I did a search and only one actuator came up, funny thing is the part number seems to be correct.

Does anyone know if they are the same unit now? One has a breather port and the other does not.

I also ordered a new Dynatek CDI as my 650 has lost a lot of power. Used to do 97 KM/59 MPH now only 75 KM/ 48 MPH.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

whoa, that sounds like a bad Dyna. i have heard the accuators will interchange, but i have not tried it or looked at them very close. i removed the KEBS and am saving it in case i need the accuator for the 4x4.

and welcome to the board here.

monty

Old 08-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

Don't worry the actuators will interchange. I would however send back that dyna because it definately sounds like you've got a bad one. I've heard of several people getting bad ones but everyone I personally know has had absolutely no trouble, I guess we've been lucky.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

I need to clarify, I ordered a new dynatek CDI to replace the stock one that I think is defective.

I first noticed my quad began to loose power last fall. I took it into the dealer for it's 200 hr service and steering knuckle recall hoping that would help the problem (adjust belt, valves, carbs, etc..). This did not help. I poked around and found one of the little modules that sits under the seat had come off it’s bracket and fell down around the exhaust pipe. This cooked it. The dealer said this module related to the belt so I bought a new one, installed it but this still didn’t help the power problem. So I took the quad into the dealer and after a week he said “ there’s nothing wrong, that’s as fast as it should go” but you need a new actuator. I lost faith in the dealer.
I tried the actuator from my 650 on my wifes 360 and it did not work so I’m sure I need a new one.

I think all my problems started after this module got cooked. I hope replacing the CDI will help.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

I have an 03 Prairie that I fried two CDI boxes on, both times the engine would sputter and pop at anything other than an Idle. I finally tracked the problem of frying them to my front actuator, it had a short in it.
I replaced the last CDI box with a Dynatek. The first box I ordered was no good, but Dynatek replaced it for me fairly quick. I did notice on the stock CDI boxes, that had gone bad, on the bottom there was rough spots that looked kinda like rice krispies (shape that is). And it looked like it had melted some. Just something you might wanna look for. I am very happy with my new Dynatek. It`ll pep the engine up to where it will do wheelies and it also overides the pesky rev limiter fo reverse. Hope this was some help.
I haven`t replaced the actuator, yet. I manaually locked it in 4wd and left it for now.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

refresh!

Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

Thanks Kawboyie, my cdi also has about 5 square inches of little white pieces of what I think looks like aquarium gravel coming through the bottom but rice crispies also describes it. Man this makes me so happy to think that I might be getting to the bottom of my power problem. I seen that there on the bottom of the cdi and it seemed kind of odd, but the dealer that looked at it never mentioned it might be out of the ordinary.

Don't ever take anything to Pro-Am Motorcycles in Calgary Alberta, those guys suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The CDI is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the actuator shoudn't be to far behind.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Range Rover
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

Seems like most lf the dealer service depts SUCK! I am getting sick of it. I think I have learned more about my BF than most of the techs that have serviced it. If you want it done right do it yourself.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

My new Dynatek CDI arrived today, there is a warning about tethered kill switches, do I need to worry about this?

Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 2wd/4wd actuator

Only if you have a tethered kill switch! You most likley dont, alot of snowmobiles do. Also, i think its normal for the bottom of the stock cdi to look like that after a while. Mine did also, and it works fine.

Quick Reply: 2wd/4wd actuator