Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I need HELP!!! KFX400

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need HELP!!! KFX400

Hi all,
I'm pretty much new to riding. I got my first bike last year. KFX400. Now, just recently there was a recall on the clutch cover plate. I took it in 2 weeks ago to have that fixed, I also had it serviced for the first time and I also had them put a wrist throttle on. Here's my problem.... Ever sinse I got it back it feels like it's heating up way to fast. I don't remember it being like that before. It was sitting in my garage for 2 days and I started it up with the choke on and within 15mins the mufler is too hot to touch.... Soon after the fan comes on.... Does this sound normal or is it just in my head??? I did check the antifreeze level and it was fine. Any suggestions would be helpfull before I call up the shop and feel like an idiot. lol

Thanks,
Michael

Old 09-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i jus got an 06 kfx 400 and i noticed that it gets hot faster then other quads i have ridden. i dont know if its jus how the thermostat is set or what....i dont kno what to tel ya. mine has been fine...no probs yet. but i havent got the recall fixed yet.....so yea......

Old 09-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

i just took out my 2006 kfx 400 yesterday and rode it for an hur and 15 minutes. the fan never went on maybe becuase it was quite cool and i was always going fast. but whenever i turn on the engine whne in the garage i do notice it getting really hot in less than a minute.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

did you take the air filter cover off?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

i bought a 06 kfx a month ago and have had no problems with it. i rode in a small dirt track in 2nd and 3rd gear for 2 hours in 85 degree wheather and fan never came on. so idk

Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look, any exhaust will get to hot to touch after 15 minutes of idling. Many of these sport quads are going to get hot sitting still, as they are designed to be moving, not idling. They don't have a constantly running cooling fan like most cars. Still, you don't mention if you have checked your coolant level. If they installed a new throttle, is the idle higher than it used to be?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Scooter, but he previously said in another post that the header was getting red hot. I've seen red hot headers before, when idling, this is a lean condition. But typically a header at idle should see around 4-500 degrees. Maybe I'll pull mine out and put a temp probe on it and see what it reads?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, red hot headers are getting to be the norm. It is a common occurance on the newer stainless exhaust systems which are thinner walled than ever before. I agree that the header shouldn't be cherry red either, so he may be lean. Then again, it doesn't sound like anything should have been changed that would affect jetting so it might be normal? In any case, going up a size or two on the pilot and/or adjusting the fuel screw could help clear up both things.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys for all your replies. I guess I just never realy noticed it before I had the recall fixed. I don't think I have it idling any higher than I used to. I guess I'll keep ridin it and see if it blows up....lol Anyways, thanks again. It helped knowing that I wasn't the onlyone that noticed it was hot.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a kfx 400 and there is antifreeze leaking out of the radiator cap and I dont know what the problem is someone said it is the cap or the thermostat or the water pump and I dont know where the thermostat is.

Quick Reply: I need HELP!!! KFX400