Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New exhaust and filter jetting question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust and filter jetting question

Just put on Hmf full system and twin air filter. I have a 145 in the front and a 148 in the rear. I had replaced the plugs prior to riding and they are snow white after riding. Should I adjust the main jets to a 148 in the front and a 150 in the rear? Or should I adjust the air/fuel mixture screws? It was popping when letting off over half throttle. What do ya'll think that I should do. Oh yeah what does the #3 brass washer/shim for the needles help do? I live in Lake Charles, LA and that is at sea level. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

Update, rookie mistake on the plugs I was looking at the insulator at the top not the ring. Plugs are slightly darker than a beer bottle. So I believe the main jets are correct. Adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws both out 2.5. turns. Has a smooth idle, easy to start. When riding it rev ups nicely, but when letting off from 1/2-Full throttle then getting back into it quickly, it stumbles as if it doesn't have enough fuel. Also has some popping. Should I shim the needles? Would this solve the problem. Is there anyone near Southwest, Louisiana on here that can give assistance in the flesh? Thanks guys

Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bump

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I would try putting 1 shim under the needles and see how that works 2 might be too rich. AS far as helping you in person I would be glad to if you can make it to Red River Sand drags today. I'm gonna be out there at about 1 or 2, pretty much as soon as the rain moves through. Bring 1bigdsrider with you he knows how to get there or at least he can give you directions. With your air/fuel screws take them all the way in then unscrew them 1/4 turn at a time. As you do this the motor will slightly rev as the screws come out. keep going until the motor dosen't rev any higher then go back in 1/4 turn and then do the same to the other carb. remember 1 carb at a time. I hope you can make it out to RRSD then I'd be glad to help you in person[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks fast will try and shim carb needles and see what happens. Can't make it today but maybe will be at the clash of the titans in sicily island. Will you be there?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately no, I've got to work. I was there in March and had a good time even though I got my rear kicked by CC1999's 800 on nos by a couple of bike lengths. I met alot of forum guys and would like to go back but I'm not gonna be able to make it. If you can make it up to RRSD some time let me know in advance and we'll get togther and do some riding and racing, all for fun and bragging rights of course.