Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Sport help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota Sport help!!!

Ok, I have a 2001 lokata sport with dg alloy exhaust, new tires, and I believe everything else is stock(bought it used). I've had it for almost 2 years now, and 2 weeks ago when I went to ride, it ran uniquely bad. Usually the needle valve is jammed or the filters are clogged, but this time it was different. It was running like crap with little throttle response, it wanted to stall, and it would backfire when I let go of the gas over 1/2 throttle. I took apart the whole carb, cleaned it all, made sure the needle was intact, cleaned the fuel screens, tubes, cleaned the air filter, and attemted adjustiong the rich/lean needle but couldn't get it right. Now it stop revving at full throttle, makes a little pop, then clears and goes to full throttle. I am stumped. The gas was used the day of purchase. What is the stock setting for the rich/lean needle? I fiddled with it but don't know where it should be. Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Old 09-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, not sure if this makes a difference but my spark plug is in great condition and gives offa strong spark. Also, I'm not over or below sea level any distance to be of any significance.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

Pleez guys? I no nothing else to do with my knowlege. And buy the rich/lean needle I thinl I'm talking about the main jet.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have old gas in the carb to begin with? That would make a mess of your carb...the needle can be adjusted via shims, but other then that it's not adjustable and you change jetting with a jet. Do you have any more info?

Old 09-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have any info needed. CI found out that what what I was turning was the mixture screw. The gas in there wasn't very old and would that make a difference if I put new gas and cleaned the carb? Today I cleaned the main jet and it's still running like crap. Just ask what info you need.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, as I am looking at my book right now, it says that the air screw needs to be 2 1/4 turns out. And just wondering, what is your compression at? This would most likely NOT make it run like this, but im just curious. It should be between 115 - 180 psi) Hope this helps...

Zach

Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Baseballroxmasox
Ok, as I am looking at my book right now, it says that the air screw needs to be 2 1/4 turns out. And just wondering, what is your compression at? This would most likely NOT make it run like this, but im just curious. It should be between 115 - 180 psi) Hope this helps...

Zach
the compression should be no lower then 135psi to consider it in ok running condition.........also, the thread is like a month old hopefully the kota is running now lol

Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

lol, k the book is stupid... anyways.... i haven't been on here in forever, so i thot i'd help out a bit. =]
btw my quad is going to be done friday... port n polish, bore to 302, rejet, mmm, alot of other things too, just can't think right now. but im going to be getting into some TQRA racing next season... practice all this winter. TQRA.com

Old 10-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Baseballroxmasox
lol, k the book is stupid... anyways.... i haven't been on here in forever, so i thot i'd help out a bit. =]
btw my quad is going to be done friday... port n polish, bore to 302, rejet, mmm, alot of other things too, just can't think right now. but im going to be getting into some TQRA racing next season... practice all this winter. TQRA.com
i dont mean to be dissapointing or anything but you really should have went with the 335 kit and cwr (or any) cams.......you are going to be majorly dissapointed with the power your going to get and you will basically not benifit from the port and polish at all.....in order to benifit from the port and polish and get alot out of it you need a high comp piston(10:1 atleast), cams(390,420), oversized valves, bigger carb(36mm mikuni) and a good pipe (big gun) and it sounds like all you are getting is a .040 over wiseco which is crap stock compression 8:5:1 so hopefully the dude atleast milled the head a bit....i would atleast slap a cam in there and get a bigger carb......also have the timing chain replaced the stockers are crap.........

Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I installed a dynojet level 1 jet kit and my problems are mostly gone now. I also adjusted the valve spacing(don;t think it did much though). It still backfires occasionally but once warm the throttle response is much better.