Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kfx700 exhaust popping

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kfx700 exhaust popping

Has any body 's700 pop when idleing to quarter throttle.I have cleaned air filter and put new gas in it.I removed the jets and cleaned them. It only happens from idle to quarter throttle. I don't want to remove the carbs. What else is there to do. Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

you will get a million different opinions, may be a leak, may be lean or rich, I dont rememeber what symptom is which, may be the air/ fuel screws, could be jetting... Good luck

Old 10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 700. I bet you can hear fuel sputtering from the carb. A few questions? Is your bike all stock? If piped, what jetting are you running? If stock, did it run good up until recently? What type of riding do you do? The reason I ask? I've let my girlfriend ride it at the dunes for the weekend and she just putts around and it causes the carbs to gum up. You've got to keep that thing running. It's meant to run and run hard. So, don't drive it like and old lady. Give me some answers and maybe I can help!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Either too lean or too rich F/A can cause popping in the exhaust. Hold the throttle between idle and 1/4 opening, then slowly open the choke to see if the condition gets worse or better. Then you will know what your problem is, too lean or too rich.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had same problem and it tured out to be jetting/airfuel mixture problem.you can fix this simply by adding more air.The cheap way is to drill several 1/2 inch holes in your air box lid one at a time till its better then go one more till its worse and then put some electrical tape over your last hole.I dont recomend this for a permenet fix becouse it will allow more crap in your air box.Dial a jet sells a tpi valve for 9.99 that is the perfect solution. you cut a 4 inch squar in you lid and this fits in side and it has a filter.they also sell little round filters to plug your 1/2 inch holes but i dont like them becouse the filters are in the inside and get sucked into the carb.If you go the 1/2 inch hole route keep them in a 4inch square so you can go the tpi route if you wish.if you plan on adding mods or jetting your bike get the dial a jet you wont be sorry, works better then fuel injection, but i think the tpi valve will fix your complaint

Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Trailblazer

MY BIKE IS STOCK EXCEPT. K&N AIR FILTER . MY FAMILY MOSTLY RIDE MX TRACKS.THE PROBLEM STARTED AROUND TWO MONTHS AGO FOR NO REASON AT ALL. I'VE CLEANED ALL THE JETS AND CARB BOWLS. THE PLUGS ARE BLACK SAYING RICH. THE FRONT CARB "SPITS" WHEN IDLEING TO QUARTER THROTTLE. I NEED TO CHECK IF THIS WOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

3QUADS, I ride alot of MX as well. It's a little heavy on the doubles though, eh? Especially when your 6' 6" 285lbs like me. But, I keep up with my buddies on their 450's that are 100lbs lighter.

So, it just started a couple of months ago, you ride mx and the quad is stock except for air filter. That leads me to believe you've accumulated dirt in the carb. I would remove the carbs and thoroughly clean them before I would rejet or start drilling holes in the air box. Also, be sure that your choke is not sticking, this can cause false readings as well. Give it a good lube.

Finally, I would get rid of the K & N filter. They do not protect your engine nearly as well as the foam filters. Go with a Twin Air or a UNI. That may be your problem. Especially, running MX tracks or sandy dusty areas. They let far too much dirt in. They are great for street but terrible for dirt!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

3 Quads - I overlooked the fact you mentioned warranty. You can try it but I doubt they'll cover jetting or cleaning the carb. It may cover valve or engine issues but your problem is not likely to be valves. If cleaning the carb doesn't work and you get into the jetting, I highly recommend the dial a jet kit. They are worth every penny.

Also, lose the K & M filter! You're asking for more trouble.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

If the aftermarket air filter (such as K&N type) has about the same (or less) surface area as the factory stock air filter and if they claim better filtration AND the higher air flowrate producing more power, there are 2 things to consider:

1). They are lying about the air flowrate: Filter can't let more air pass through with tighter filter element's pore size (higher filtration) with given same surface area.

2). They are lying about the filteration efficiency: Their filter is letting more air in with more dirt as well.

If you've got one of those filters on your offroad bikes/quads, open your top end cover of your motor off and look inside. It would look like sand storms have gone through.

Just remember, more air means more DIRT if the surface area is the same or less.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dead On Hayashi! I know guys who swear by them until they pull their engine apart and see all of the dirt that the filter has let in.

Quick Reply: kfx700 exhaust popping