Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb or Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb or Electrical?

Having a problem with a Bayou 220. Runs great until it touches water, after it sits for about 20-30 minutes runs great untill touches water. Some people are telling me carb but with the way the water is affecting it some are leaning towards electrical. Anyone have similar problem? Open to any suggestions.
Thanks,

Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean by it just "sits"?
How deep are going into the water to see this problem?
If the quad just stalls and would not fire up while you are cranking and cranking, then it could be the electrical problem that I know of. Check the blacke ground wire connector bolted to the left side of the engine, just above the recoil starter. One way to see if this is the cause is to recoil-start the quad, instead of pushing the start button. If it starts up by the recoil start, it is the ground wire problem.

If that's not it, the carb might be sucking in water somehow. Open the air box immediately the quad stalls and check for any evidence for water intrusion. You might be missing a black plastic deflector (kinda U shaped and slides vertically just behind the filter element) inside the air box.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

The water that I went through was just a couple of inches deep. I have been starting it using the recoil, battery is dead. What I mean by sit is to wait for whatever to dry out. I hand started it probably 150 times yesturday in an attempt to get it running. Sometimes it will fire and run for only a few seconds even reving the engine, others it will run fine and let me drive for a few minutes. When it is dying/trying to run it sputters like the spark is random. The only fluid I found in the air box was fuel from flooding out the carb. If I stay away from water it runs great!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Could be the spark plug wire and or spark plug cap.
Get a spray bottle of water, and with it idleing, start spraying down components, until it acts up. When you find the connector which is causing the problem...take it apart, dry it out, and pack it with dielectrical grease.