Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Gorilla 3000lb Winch on 2006 Kawasaki BF650I

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla 3000lb Winch on 2006 Kawasaki BF650I

I got the winch a few days ago, and today I got around to installing it. The install was a breeeze, I did however need to provide longer cables for the battery to solenoid connection. I opted for some heavier guage wire, and I soldered the connectors on instead of just crimping. In fact, all of the connections I went back over and soldered instead of crimping. For the Ignition On wire, I just used the European Horn Connector behind the radiator. Installation took me the better part of 3 hours, because I had to run to the hardware store twice. Nothing was missing in the kit, I just decided to mount my solenoid in a different location, and I opted to use U-bolts to secure it to the frame. Worked like a champ!

After the winch was installed and wired up, I made sure everything was functioning properly. It was. The instructions provided with the kit are self-explanatory, and ANYONE should be able to install it. I went down to the farm, and went to the bottom of this hill that I have NEVER seen anyone attempt to go up. Since the cable is only 30ft, I opted to use my 30ft tow strap and a shackle. Everything was rigged and ready to go. There was no way in hell I was going to ride this thing up the hill just to be on the safe side, so I tried to walk beside it, and that didn't work. I ended up standing on the left floorboard for a nice little ride up the hill. With the engine idling, I began to pull myself up the hill, everything was fine, with a nice steady pull. I paused twice during the pull, to let the winch cool down, and suprisingly there was no creep. I was shocked! Anyway, to make a long story short, I made it to the top of the hill with no problems, and the winch wasn't even warm. As soon as I got to the top of the hill I killed my engine, and re-started it approximately 5 times with no noticeable loss of power.

For the money I paid for the winch, I am very happy. I will continue to use the winch around the farm for actual work purposes and see how it holds out. I don't play in the mud, and I don't forge rivers so if it holds up to normal farming use, I will be purchasing a few more. The ONLY thing I don't like is that you can't actually see the cable on the spool unless you get down on the ground and look at it. Shorter people might not have this problem, but I am 6'7" so I'm not accustomed to looking at stuff that low! This isn't a problem with the kit, it's just a problem in general. During the spring, I might make my own version of the Montana Jack's Front receiver system for the BF.