Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help with jetting my KFX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with jetting my KFX

I would try...170 front and 165 rear......or ,,,,180 front and 175 rear.<---.this is the one i run with no air box,

Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

Hi,Just go.Thanks I will tryn that tonight.I have a question how do you like the timing key advance?What does it do for your KFX?How does it work in conjunction with say a Four stroke tech CDI box?Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

Well..if u are asking me if i would do it again,,,,NO,,,,,i think it was a waste of time,,u might notiice a quicker throttle respones ..But i contend that is usually the riders imagination.lol .and as far as a cdi box,,i just stayed with the stock one,,didnt see any gain in it.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have nt drove mine around a lot since it isnt jetted right yet,but I noticed a big difference with the Dalton clutchkit with the orange spring and a clutch cover.It engages a lot better.I love the Muzzy pipe and the sound is really cool.Like a souped up car.I still have the four stroke tech CDI box coming.I am waiting to get it dialed in first before I put it on.I will let you know how it works out.You dont think that the timing key did much though????

Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Range Rover

No .,.There was no gain from the 6-key ,,,My V always had good throttle response....But some say they do.....Whats nice about the V is the primary spring,,if i want to darg race i put in my maroon spring,,,,the rev is realy high on this spring .,,.and if i want to trail ride i put my comet black in,,,and it only takes about 30min to do it.....And yes i love the way the Muzzy sounds ppl are always asking me how did u get it to sound like that .lol,,,Good luck on the jetting,,,that V will prr with that Muzzy

Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

All right I got a good one.The jet kit I got from my dealer was really a Moose dyno kit.I changed the mains to the jets they said and I put the needles in on the first clip like they siad and it is running worse now.Where do I get the jets and do I still use the neddles from the dyno jet kit for them?The stock ones are not adjustable the new ones have five slots for the clips.Help.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Another thing is it is calling for the smaller jets to be in the front carb is this right????

Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

yes the front will be smaller by a few sizes, this is caused by different lenthened pipes. As for the CDI box they really are not neccecary until you get into the BBKs (big bore kits) as the high powerd BBKs really can use the extra RPM range. Most people on a stockish KFX cant hit the rev lim so the stock CDI will do. now for my set up I run the VDI without a timeing advance and just left the 6-degree key in. Just go is somewhat both right and wrong about the key getting little gains. it's more one of the first things you want to do because thats when you will notice it, the less modded your bike the more you will see gains with the key, but no matter how modded it does have gains and it's not immaginary we have had it tested on dyno and their was gains in power with the key. as for jetting you really should be useing keihen jets and instead of changes the needle a lot of people just shim them it works quite well.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

So I should just go to sudco and order several sizes in the 170 to 180 range?Is that where I should start?Do I take the needle out from the Dyno jet kit now and use the stock needle?I have all this stuff on now and need to get it dialed in.Another thing is it might be close to being on when it warms up it is very cold here right now.I still dont see a really good power from it.I liked it better stock.Not good.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

IMHO it's worth it i've never liked those dynojunk their nothing but trouble, it it was me i'de start from 175 to 185 those should get you either real close or spot on.the stock needle is fine for winter i'de wait till you open up those TPI valves then shim it. as for the lack of power even when warmed up thats the jetting. The V really does not react well to wrong jets.

An easy way to check if you are "in the ballpark" jet or clip wise is the "pull the choke test"

If you want to check the pilot/slow jet do this:
Find a nice long straight where you can go fast safely, note the position of the throttle, you want to be about 1/4 throttle, let the rpm's settle and pull the choke.
If it: runs better you are LEAN and need to jet RICHER.
If it:runs the same you are in the ballpark.
If it: runs worse you are too RICH and need to LEAN out the mixture.

The same can be done to check the needle clip position. You will need to hold the throttle somewhere in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle position then do the choke test and observe the way the machine runs.

The same for the main jet but in the 3/4 to wide open throttle position, then do the choke test and observe the way the machine runs.

Remember all bikes and elevations are the same so if it's rich or lean dont go thinking we are 100% correct there is a lot of variables, and dont sweat it once you get it dialed in you will be able to stand back and look at your work and you will be VERY happy. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get it FULLY dialed in but I went a lot further wiith the mods. keep us posted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Help with jetting my KFX