Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX450r or Raptor 700r GYTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX450r or Raptor 700r GYTR

I posted this same message in the Yamaha forum but I wanted to get feedback here too.

Ok here is the deal, my son will be turning 16 in June and is outgrowing his dirt bike. He wants to get a quad so I figure that he can have my KFX 700. That means that I will need something new. I have been eyeing the KFX450R, sounds like it will be a fast machine however, I am worried because it is a new model for Kawasaki and they may not have all the bugs worked out.

Furthermore, my friend just got a new Outlaw 525 and he is smoking me on my KFX 700 so I need to be able to keep up with him. Can you all give me your honest opinions concerning the Raptor 700R GYTR?

I know that I will get a lot of the Kawasaki rules, Yamaha sucks type of messages in response to this post and that is NOT my intention, I am looking for valuable feedback. Additionally, I know that there is not a lot of information concerning the KFX450R, so comparisons may not be available.

I plan on doing all trail riding, mostly with my family but sometimes with friends. The trails behind my house are tight and a little technical, so suspension is critical.

On the appearance side of the decision, I think the black KFX450R looks great and I am not crazy about the white GYTR.

Thanks in advanced for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak as to the KFX450R because I haven't seen, ridden, or even know anyone who has one. However like you I am always a little conserned about brand new products when they first hit the market. I know the manufacturers spend alot of time and money with R&D but you never truely know how well any product will hold up when it gets massed produced. That being said I expect Kawasaki to put out a great product and the KFX450R should be able to hold its own in the 450 arena. As to the 700 Raptor, I have a friend who has one and I have been very impressed with the performance and quality of the quad. Every other weekend it gets rode hard, jumped and drag raced. To this point it has performed flawlessly. The bike turns in 5.3s and 5.4s all day long in the sand drags. In October we made a trip to Little Sahara in Oklahoma. While we were there he put the bike on one of the dynos there. With an intake mod, exhaust (forgot what brand), and dobeck fuel mapper the bike pulled around 50 rwhp, 49 I believe but don't hold me to that may have been a little more or less but it was right at 50. There is a night and day difference in the old 660 raptors and the new 700 raptors. If I had money in hand and were going to buy a new quad today it would most likely be the 700, but that's just my opinion, that's why they make so many different ones. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I dunno if you are expecting a response from a Polaris man or not, but here goes:

The GYTR Raptor should run w/ the Outlaw 525 pretty well. The 525 stock outpaces the 700r slightly (taken from rider reports and acceleration graphs as you can see from my sig, mine's not here yet) but with minor aftermarket stuff on the Raptor it should keep pace with the 525 'Law just fine. So here we go (please don't flame me, this is all my experience)

The 700R is a decent bit quicker than any current 450, as well as the Pred (included because i had one and know.) The 450 Kawasaki has not yet been released, but to be honest, it would have to be pretty incredible to best the 700R. If it does so, you can bet there will be reliability problems. Every one of my friends who has a pred / YFZ has had to do motor work. We've talked to Honda 450R guys on the side of the trails whos engines have simply hand-grenaded for no apparent reason. The 450's are simply trying to make too much HP out of too little engine and are really build for Racing applications only. (again, this is only my experience) if you don't mean to goto the track every weekend to be honest, i'd say go with the 700R. While i can't garauntee that the Kaw 450 will have reliability issues as well, i can tell you that i've talked to guys who have had ALL the 450s, and they all do. The 700R on the other hand seems to hold together very well. Another question for me (maybe it's just because of the fact that i'm buying one, but i must ask,) is there a reasone you haven't considerred the 525 'Law? besides maybe that you don't want to just buy what your friend has? Because the 525 KTM engine is FANTASTICALLY reliable (which after my Predator nightmare, and my best friend's YFZ nightmare, is what sold me).

Just a thought. To be honest seems like you would be satisfied with either the KAW 450 (if you're lucky and it is reliable) or the 700r (which tends to be reliable anyway) but I think you should at least include the 525 'Law in your options for best reliability and performance, don't think you can go wrong w/ either the 700r or the 525.

another thing, (b/c it WILL come up before this thread has run its course,) is cc limits in competition. if that is really a major factor in your descision i suggest you actually look at the CC limits before you assume it's 450. I see you are from michigan, as am i and i can tell you there is NO cc limit in the hare-scrambles series. so, if you are interested in racing XC, either of those machines will serve you well.

Best of luck making your descision, hope that information helps a little [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

First of all, in regards to what ScramblerXLE said, the 450's don't blow up for no apparent reason.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] They can be very reliable machines, IF the person buying them understands the basic maintnance these machines need like frequent oil changes, clean air filters, and making sure the valves stay in spec. Funny how I race my CRF450 and with basic maintnance mine has been flawless, AND the bike versions are built more than the quad versions of the engines.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Now back to the 2 quads you asked about jefflesh, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me you want a machine that you don't have to tune on often, and you can start up and go have fun. That is why I would suggest the 700R, the big bores may not be as light and nimble as 450's, but you get the same power with good reliablity and ease of maintnance. And while I believe Kawi will put out a good product the first time around with the KFX450R (they're still fine tuning it as we speak), it will be safer to go with a machine that has it's bugs worked out with a year or two of consumer thrashing on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Keep us up to date on what you do.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the posts.

ScramblerXLE, I didn't include the Outlaw 525 for two reasons. One, I really would like to have fuel injection on my next quad and two, I am not crazy about the looks. Also, I am a little worried about the IRS, I like sliding around corners and, from what I hear, this bike does not do it as good as a SLR (Hope this does not start a debate).

Furthermore, I am a little concerned about the build quality of the Outlaw. While the engine is KTM, I worry about the rest of it. I have seen little flaws in my friends bike that I didn't like. For example, the harness going to the left grip, there is about 2 inches where the wires are not protected, easy for one or more to get cut or damaged. While the brake lines are steel the routing seemed like an afterthought, running against sharp corners. The sheet metal for the front upper shock mounts seemed thinner than the Raptor. And I wasn't crazy about the battery located in the front. Wow, guess I had more than two reasons. (I am not trying to start a debate here, just things I noticed.)

Does anyone have any idea as to when the KFX450s will be released and what the price might be?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: jefflesh

Does anyone have any idea as to when the KFX450s will be released and what the price might be?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeff
I don't think the release date is until early summer now. It was supposed to be out last October, but they have decided to make some last minute changes for the production models.

As far as price, I'd guess around 7k.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

truth be told, i put a hell of a lot of time into my pred, constant valve adjustments and oil changes every 10 hrs, i guess that it is really no one's fault that an oil passage in my case was blocked from the time that the engine was assembled in the factory. That caused a cascade effect that permanently damaged my engine and made my time with it absolute hell. Just so you know motox (please don't take this offensively at all) i'd just like to say that i'm pretty dang savvy in the garage and gave my machine the propper treatment, it just didn't cooperate for reasons outside my control. however, you are correct that some of the other bad cituations some of the folks i've talked to were due to never checking the valves and things of that sort. Really i guess i mean "low maintanence" than "more reliable" when i refer to the 525 and the 700r. Just suppose in my experience, with some freinds who really didn't keep up on their machines, as well as my own nightmares (for the reasons mentioned above) makes me put the two things hand in hand.

Anyway, Jeff, in that case if you want the EFI (don't blame you, it's the one thing i wish my 'Law had) than i'd say definately the 700r, for pretty much all the reasons that Motox26 and myself listed. Good luck, Keep us posted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Well all, I pulled the trigger on a Raptor 700 SE, the black and orange one. I pick it up on Friday. I am getting it for $6380 out the door, so I think I am getting a pretty good price.

Thanks everyone for the posts, as much as I like to looks of the KFX 450, and as much as I like Kawasaki I just can't wait for this bike to come out. The Raptor seems like a great quad and the SE has the YFZ shocks which are supposed to be really good.

Thanks again for your time and your help.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Talked to my dealer 2 weeks ago he said my kfx 450 would be in mid feb and I am not to worried about kawi tossin out a flawed product I have owned several bikes from them (all ironicly first year 1 dirt bike 2 quads) and never had a major problem (water pump defect in the dirt bike dealer took care of it immediatly) So just buy the extended warranty and dont sweat it. I have looked at the raptor but what can I say I love green and have always been impressed and never dissapointed by kawasakis problem.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

My freind has a YFZ and the shocks on it are pretty nice, i'm sure you'll be happy with the 700r, congrats! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: KFX450r or Raptor 700r GYTR