Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute 750 Choke problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007 | 08:53 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Brute 750 Choke problem?

I put a plow on my 750 this weekend and were getting some snow today so I fired up the brute for the first time in probably 2 months & its about 5 degrees, I had a battery tender on it but I dont think I had a good connection , So after hooking up my big charger and firining it up I plowed my drive, After it started to warm up pulling the choke OFF made the bike race up like crazy? If I put the choke on just a tad it would idle down and do o.k. , But I dont know if the battery being charged all the way would have anything to do with it or not? I know the battery wasnt all the up because a couple times lifting the plow up with the winch and the bike would stall, But anyways any help would definetly be appreciated, Can the choke cable freeze up? Or what do I need to check out? Thanks

Old 02-07-2007 | 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

Your high idle problem has nothing to do with your battery being dead or low in charge, but everything to do with the choke/carbs.
The choke system on 750 (or any current Kawi's V-twin quads) is not really a choke, but it is a fuel enrichener that allows extra fuel into the engine bypassing some circuit of the carbs. Either the choke cable/mechanism has been frozen and/or developed some kind of corrosion which commonly occurrs in the plunger/bore of the enricheners (there are 2 since it is a twin carbs). Just follow the choke cable toward the carb set and you will find one on each carb at the end. The corrosion makes the plunger to stick inside the bore, providing unnecessary extra fuel to the engine causing high idle rpm. Also, there is a spring inside the bore and make sure you give a good stretch to it. Sticking choke (plunger) is a common cause for the plug fouling problem as well.

Old 02-07-2007 | 07:19 PM
|
Pro Rider

I think I just had some moisture in the cable, I "flushed" the the cable with my cable luber Started the bike back up & let it warm up, I adjusted the idle speed and all seems, well, I think The idle speed was just to low for the temps now and the cable was sticking, Thanks for your help.