Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!

I tried Hayashis suggestion about the EBC connection. So far, it is working. We are taking it on a long ride tomorrow and are hoping it isn't just reset, ready to fail again. Kind of stinks when the 4wd fails out in the boonies! Keep your fingers crossed! Really appreciate all the feedback!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

If it happens again, time the flashes,

Also your engine brake shouldn't be holding the bike while idling.

If it's cheeping, your idle is set to high, turn the black star shaped ****, by the fuel petcock counter clockwise.

I would post your problem over on Kawieriders or nyroc forum, they'll answer it for you.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

If HIGH idle rpm is the cause of the problem (creeping forward), 2/4WD should not be flashing on the meter. On the original poster's quad, it's got a problem in the 2/4WD-EBC control system.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right, according to the service manual , the timing of the 2wd- 4wd flashing lights indicates a controller or actuator problem. That is why the dealer originally replaced the actuator and controller, but as we know now, that didn't solve the problem.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Very happy to let you know Hayashis recomendation on the EBC fixed my problem! We went on a 17 mile ride and the machine showed no sign of failing. Thank you again for all of you input! That fix costs $0. I feel totally suckered because of the $ is spent at the dealer to have them NOT fix it. We won't be going back to the dealers if at all possible. Live and learn.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Zen
Trailblazer

Now that my Prairie is out of warrenty, dealerships are off limits. I disconected the kbec all together, I cant remember where I saw how to do it with a relay. It was either Nyroc, or highlifter, or here. just look up kbec on a search.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why did you bypass the kbec all together? Were you having similar problems?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Zen
Trailblazer

Yea, After I did some clutch mods and, screwed around with the kbec, it was never right, I tried to fix it but the problem just came back(4wd/2wd lights flashing). I talk to a guy on kawiriders, and he said he disabled his all together, and it increased his low range power. I removed the break fork to disable the kbec, but the flashing light issue just returned, honestly I think the kbec motor was defective, but after taking it appart i saw that my son's remote controll car motor was more durable. So I found this post on how to bypass the motor all together. Tell you the truth, I dont feel anymore power, and come to think of it I dont feel anything different, I think the kbec is just a gimmick. But the most important thing I had the flashing light issue resolved. If I find the bypass kbec post, I will PM you it.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would be interested if the problem comes back. I didn't have the flashing light problem after I crimped it. Never know when it will pop up again.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!"></title><script src=

I know I am in an old thread but mine started doing this recently.I have had this since new and now I have about 3k miles.On occasion I get the 1 sec flash.I have heard my kebc motor making funny sounds it seems lately(funnier that normal) and mine will not disengage sometimes also....I was going to drive an hour and borrow a family members controller to see if it fixed mine but the problem with mine is intermittent.........is the fuse repair still doing the trick???

Quick Reply: Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!