Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

13-yr old Boy Killed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13-yr old Boy Killed...

I live in a rural area and a few times in a year trespassers (or innocent wanderers?) come into my acrage property. That's why I posted this news in the first place. My property is all fenced around but there are 2 entrances/gates and they come through there even though there are multiple signs like "PRIVATE PROPERTY" and "NO TRESPASSING".

When I stop them and start talking to them, almost all are people from out of town visitors and they had no clue they just entered into a private property. Some make a quick U-turn and immediately go out (as soon as they realized they are in a private property I think). Or others got lost and came into ask a question. In fact, many of them were very friendly and aplogic. And I never see them "trespassing" into my property again. Yes, there was an incident when a couple of punk kids on quads came in and made donut marks on my field and took off. But only once. This was before I put anything on the gates.

I didn't put a cable (or tank-trap [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] or anything that would hurt anyone. Instead, I put a bright yellow plastic link-chain at the gates (when I am not at the property). Because I was lost once in a national forest trail riding alone, and, after a few hours of searching/wandering, finally decided to go into someone's property to ask for a direction...

Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Adults know right from wrong & treapassing is not recommened & That you may regret it, That being said I feel terrible a 13 year old kid lost his life because cable gates and trespassing have probably never crossed his mind, I cant imagine how his parents feel, Sad to say this definetly could have been prevented if the kid had a little knowledge on both subjects.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Thats terrible.

A snowmobiler was killed here the same way 3 weeks ago.His daughter was christened earlier the same day.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Listen to the millionaire people. anyone who steps on to their all mighty property deserves whatever they get. How dare you bother the fancy millionaires???

Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: ajd187
Listen to the millionaire people. anyone who steps on to their all mighty property deserves whatever they get. How dare you bother the fancy millionaires???
Its a terrible thing the kid died.. However its not the landowners fault. The kids parents should spend some time in jail.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Its a terrible thing the kid died.. However its not the landowners fault. The kids parents should spend some time in jail.
spend some time in jail? simi valley is a fast growing area i know im there all the time maybe the gate wasnt there the last time he rode there or mabey it wasnt priv prop either u dont know the situation ! and if some a hole put up the fence with intent to hurt some one i think that f%$#ed up private prop or not! I have a 12 year old son and he knows to stay out of private prop but just think about when u were 12 or 13 ! you were perfect right !

Old 02-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally posted by: Dunedog805
Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
spend some time in jail? simi valley is a fast growing area i know im there all the time maybe the gate wasnt there the last time he rode there or mabey it wasnt priv prop either u dont know the situation ! and if some a hole put up the fence with intent to hurt some one i think that f%$#ed up private prop or not! I have a 12 year old son and he knows to stay out of private prop but just think about when u were 12 or 13 ! you were perfect right !
Perfect? No.

Responsible? Yes.

It is a tradgedy that a young child died. But, I haven't seen any details about what happened.

Had a 10 year old killed here about a month ago on an atv. Sounds like a tradgedy, right?

Then the details came out. It was a Kawi mule, that he had taken the keys without his dads knowledge, was driving too fast and hit a tree. He wasn't wearing the seat belt, was ejected, and the mule rolled on top of him.

Guess whoever owns the land shouldn't have had trees on his property.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

"Perfect? No.

Responsible? Yes."

[/quote]

just put visible chain or cable up! Thats the responsible thing to do.......for you responsible people

Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
A. Cable is a much less expensive than building a gate that you would find acceptable.

B. I don't see any of those trespassing on my land donating to the "buy captain quint better gates fund". On the contrary I see them causing damage and cutting fences and damaging the gates and fencing I do have.

C. Property owners indeed put up gates to deter idiots who fail to understand to concept of private property. We also have to carry multi million dollar liability insurance policies in case some idiot is trespassing and runs into said gate and decapitates himself and his grieving family decides to hire larry H lawyer, pull the handle, and attempt the jackpot the legal system. I don't see anyone contributing to those premiums either.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the mentality that it is all well and good for people to trespass and ride all over private property and if someone gets killed doing so it's the land owners fault. You weren't suppose to be there. If you weren't riding were you shouldn't have been you wouldn't have been injured or killed. Too many times parents get their kid an ATV or dirt bike with no place to ride and turn them loose. They trespass and cause damage and make all ATVers look bad. They end up getting killed running into a gate and then it's the landowners fault because they were trespassing and couldn't see a gate. It's the parents who are fault. They bought the kid the ATV or dirtbike with no place to ride. They let them operate it unsupervised. They let them trespass. They have no body else to blame when they walk past that empty bedroom but themselves. They were the neglectful parents.

Frankly I'm sick to death of the blame game and the crocodile tears for criminals trespassing and getting hurt and blaming others for it.

Now this case may be something else entirely. This kid may have been on private property with permission and if so it is a tragedy and I do feel for his parents and family.

In the end remember, don't trespass and get permission before messing around on private property. That means contacting the owner directly. Not just "everyone rides there". Contact the owner and ask them if you may ride there. Don't know who owns it? Go to the county offices and locate a plat map and find out. Can't find the owner? Stay out.

1) I don't see any mention of blaming the land owner.

2) Having insurance protects "you" the land owner - You should have it. I don't think the words "jackpot the legal system" and losing a life go hand in hand. If you lost your son or daughters life on someone else's property I'm sure you would go the legal route to see if the proper legal devices were in place to prevent such an occurrence. If they were not, I am sure your own lawyers would want you to be compensated for your loss....still it's ..... VERY VERY far from the "jackpot". I sure hope you don't think the parents in this case would be happy with a lump of cash over having their son back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

3) Kids are kids and don't always think or do what their parents tell them to do.... if you think they all do then you're living on another planet. Bottom line - Right or Wrong.... kids will still do things they are not supposed to do. To be honest, there are much worse "Criminals" out there than some 13 year old riding his dirtbike on Joe Blow's land. No matter if he was tresspassing or not... it's a tragedy

Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

This happened last year...

Does it sound like they were doing 2-up riding?

Teen killed when his ATV strikes gate made of pipes.

Published: July 9, 2006

A 16-year-old was killed when the all-terrain vehicle he was driving crashed into a large gate blocking a road in Kenai.

Holden Hollenberg of Soldotna and another youth were driving on a gravel utility access road when the accident happened sometime before 12:30 a.m. Friday.

Hollenberg and his companion had already driven around one gate blocking access on the gravel road and were approaching a second when Hollenberg accelerated, leaving his companion behind and crashing into the second gate. The gate was a swinging gate made of metal pipes.

Kenai police and the Kenai Fire Department responded to the accident after a call from an acquaintance of Hollenberg reporting the accident.

Hollenberg was found within a few feet of the gate. A Kenai Fire Department ambulance took him to the Central Peninsula General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"It is likely he had some pretty severe internal injuries," said Lt. Kim Wannamaker.

Wannamaker said he did not know how much time passed between the accident and the time it was reported. Preliminary reports suggest speed may have been a contributing factor in the accident.

"Preliminary investigations show he was driving very fast," Wannamaker said.

Kenai police are investigating the accident.

-- The Associated Press

Quick Reply: 13-yr old Boy Killed...