Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

13-yr old Boy Killed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13-yr old Boy Killed...

Originally posted by: MikeCamp

1) I don't see any mention of blaming the land owner.

2) Having insurance protects "you" the land owner - You should have it. I don't think the words "jackpot the legal system" and losing a life go hand in hand. If you lost your son or daughters life on someone else's property I'm sure you would go the legal route to see if the proper legal devices were in place to prevent such an occurrence. If they were not, I am sure your own lawyers would want you to be compensated for your loss....still it's ..... VERY VERY far from the "jackpot". I sure hope you don't think the parents in this case would be happy with a lump of cash over having their son back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

3) Kids are kids and don't always think or do what their parents tell them to do.... if you think they all do then you're living on another planet. Bottom line - Right or Wrong.... kids will still do things they are not supposed to do. To be honest, there are much worse "Criminals" out there than some 13 year old riding his dirtbike on Joe Blow's land. No matter if he was tresspassing or not... it's a tragedy

I shouldn't have to protect myself from idiots who trespass by carrying multimillion dollar liability insurance coverage. They disregard fences, signs, gates and everything else and destroy my property and if one of them gets injured or hurt you can bet due to our litigious society that is just slopping over with lawyers they'll be sure to sue. They shouldn't even be allowed to sue. They are committing a crime. They are indeed jackpotting the legal system. 'I, or my relative was where they should not have been committing a crime and got hurt or killed so pay me money.'

I don't know what people expect. Are land owners suppose to surround all of their fences and gates with bubble wrap or big rubber cushions so no one gets hurt? Are they to go around miles and miles of fencing and tie warning flags on the barbed wire fences so no idiot trespassers ride into them? The livestock can work through the whole conundrum of fences and gates without such protective measures. Maybe those who are plowing headlong into fences and gates should consult with the cows on the mysterious intricacies of gate and fence safety. Maybe we could set up a workshop or something.

We have a very disturbing tendency in the ATV community to excuse trespassing and even more disturbing is a predilection of far too many ATV riders to trespass. It gives our sport a very bad image. Landowners who don't ride lump all ATV riders in with the ATV riders who do trespass.

A violation of one's property is a very personal thing. It would be just as if I walked into your house uninvited and started wandering around and rummaging through your things. I might not be taking anything but I shouldn't be there. That's one reason I stomp on it so hard when I catch them on my property. Charges get filed and restraining orders can even get taken out if it comes to that. It ends up costing them quite a bit of money.

Oh and I successfully negotiated cable type gates on 3 separate non consecutive occasions over the past two days. There were no flags marking them. Twice I was on an ATV and once I was in a truck. The one gate I had never even seen before since it was on a neighbors property and I was checking on his cows.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
Originally posted by: MikeCamp

1) I don't see any mention of blaming the land owner.

2) Having insurance protects "you" the land owner - You should have it. I don't think the words "jackpot the legal system" and losing a life go hand in hand. If you lost your son or daughters life on someone else's property I'm sure you would go the legal route to see if the proper legal devices were in place to prevent such an occurrence. If they were not, I am sure your own lawyers would want you to be compensated for your loss....still it's ..... VERY VERY far from the "jackpot". I sure hope you don't think the parents in this case would be happy with a lump of cash over having their son back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

3) Kids are kids and don't always think or do what their parents tell them to do.... if you think they all do then you're living on another planet. Bottom line - Right or Wrong.... kids will still do things they are not supposed to do. To be honest, there are much worse "Criminals" out there than some 13 year old riding his dirtbike on Joe Blow's land. No matter if he was tresspassing or not... it's a tragedy

I shouldn't have to protect myself from idiots who trespass by carrying multimillion dollar liability insurance coverage. They disregard fences, signs, gates and everything else and destroy my property and if one of them gets injured or hurt you can bet due to our litigious society that is just slopping over with lawyers they'll be sure to sue. They shouldn't even be allowed to sue. They are committing a crime. They are indeed jackpotting the legal system. 'I, or my relative was where they should not have been committing a crime and got hurt or killed so pay me money.'

I don't know what people expect. Are land owners suppose to surround all of their fences and gates with bubble wrap or big rubber cushions so no one gets hurt? Are they to go around miles and miles of fencing and tie warning flags on the barbed wire fences so no idiot trespassers ride into them? The livestock can work through the whole conundrum of fences and gates without such protective measures. Maybe those who are plowing headlong into fences and gates should consult with the cows on the mysterious intricacies of gate and fence safety. Maybe we could set up a workshop or something.

We have a very disturbing tendency in the ATV community to excuse trespassing and even more disturbing is a predilection of far too many ATV riders to trespass. It gives our sport a very bad image. Landowners who don't ride lump all ATV riders in with the ATV riders who do trespass.

A violation of one's property is a very personal thing. It would be just as if I walked into your house uninvited and started wandering around and rummaging through your things. I might not be taking anything but I shouldn't be there. That's one reason I stomp on it so hard when I catch them on my property. Charges get filed and restraining orders can even get taken out if it comes to that. It ends up costing them quite a bit of money.

Oh and I successfully negotiated cable type gates on 3 separate non consecutive occasions over the past two days. There were no flags marking them. Twice I was on an ATV and once I was in a truck. The one gate I had never even seen before since it was on a neighbors property and I was checking on his cows.

1) Well you managed to avoid every point I made and went on another rant about the cost of land ownership. LOL

2) You make is sound like you pay a lot of money for a multimillion dollar liability insurance coverage policy. A comprehensive general liability insurance policy costs about $ .19 per acre. with very small minumum premiums. You own land, so deal with it, like everyone else in the world does. You also make it sound like having a insurance policy doesn't cover you.... it does. So, if you injure yourself you are covered too.

3) I don't think everyone in the ATV community promotes trespassing and if you addressed my comment #3 maybe you'll understand a little something about kids.

4) Your comparison of walking into someones home as being the same as being on their property is WAY off. It's more like if someone was walking across your lawn and you didn't want them there. Only difference here is them being on a vehicle. Very different than going into someones house and going through stuff. ROFL

5) Lastly, I don't remember seeing any cases of people trespassing then sueing someone and getting paid out on it. Actually, personally I know of a neighbor that tried sueing for some medical bills. They "trespassed" onto my friends yard to cut down some trees over hanging his fence. They (the trespassers) broke their ankle and tried to sue... guess what - Insurance claim - DENIED. Why? because they we're not suposed to be there and had no permission to be there.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

love to kick some captain a$$, if that was my son that was killed for the sake of your lazzy a$$ not putting up some kind of marker for a cable fence, regaredless of privet property or not, you would be in a world of hurt. do you realy think that someone at 20mph can see a 1/2 cable, no. i have come across poeple like u before and the are all a bunch of araggent a$$ holes i hope we never pass paths. anyone with your kind of reassoning is a idiot. i would rather some kid cause damage to my property, then take there live do to lazzyness.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

What if? It had been a sink hole (like when the soil washes out under a culvert). Who's fault?
You can never dictate everybody else. You will never get every landowner to "properly" mark their land or gates culverts, intakes, etc.. I think it is a great idea for that to happen but really it won't.
The one thing we do have control over is ourselves. My son and I never ride anywhere without first riding slowly to checkout and talk about our souroundings and possible dangers. It is a habit I take more serious then any other aspect of riding. Who cares how well your ATV was tuned or tricked or how much drive time you saved when your dead. He will not start his ATV without permission. If I ever thought he might I would disable them. If he ever did it would be gone. It's not that hard to be responsable for your kids safety and with all the grief they give you about it just think of the grief of planning their funeral.
Ultimately the safety of the rider is in the riders hands. We need to bring up a responsible generation of riders.
That being said, my heart goes out to the family I can't imagine the pain.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

What? Who brought up stink holes? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

On another note, Are you all getting bombarded with www.atvsafety.gov commercials? I've seen at least 3 in the last
1/2 hr here on the Pittsburgh local channels.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

my friend all most had the same thing happen to him in a place that he and everyone eles you to ride all the time. then someone else bought the property and put up 1/4 in cabel everywhere on perpose for poeple whoe where riding around there he could of marked them with ribbens but didnt or just put up a real fence. luckly my freind was able to lay his bike down an slide underneth it. and all land owners are resonsable for anyone on there property whether they have the right to be there on not and if you dont beleve me call your homeowner insurince. i dont support truspassing but i dont condone stupedity.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

look at it this way. if i were tearing across your front yard and ran into the clothsline post, are you responsible for my injuries and fixing my atv? or should i just stay off your lawn?

cables have long been used to restrict access to private property and are only a barrier. not meant to kill. a steel gate could be lethal if hit at speed.

and was it even legal for a 13 year old boy to be operating a motor vehicle where this happened anyway?

monty

Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

[The one thing we do have control over is ourselves. My son and I never ride anywhere without first riding slowly to checkout and talk about our souroundings and possible dangers. It is a habit I take more serious then any other aspect of riding. Who cares how well your ATV was tuned or tricked or how much drive time you saved when your dead. He will not start his ATV without permission. If I ever thought he might I would disable them. If he ever did it would be gone. It's not that hard to be responsable for your kids safety and with all the grief they give you about it just think of the grief of planning their funeral.
Ultimately the safety of the rider is in the riders hands. We need to bring up a responsible generation of riders.

leswind im 16 and my dad does the same thing to me ride slow if i dont now were im at. if i ride and he doesnt know the quad would be smashed then put in the river. out were im at we ride on privitre the owner only lets people ride satday and sunday if someone is hurt he hears zero words form the law and kicks everyone out for about a month. me and my dad was thinking about getting land and opening a bisness were people can ride on the land. their would be mx tracks, 300 ft drags, mud hole and trails in the woods. on the weekends their would be competitions for money and trophs. we would like your input on our idea that i think many people had in mind.

out were im at their was two deaths on was a 12 yearold on a raptor 660 another was a 19 yearold on a banshee that filped on him when going up a nearly 90 degree dirt wall

Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

leswind im 16 and my dad does the same thing to me ride slow if i dont now were im at. if i ride and he doesnt know the quad would be smashed then put in the river. out were im at we ride on privitre the owner only lets people ride satday and sunday if someone is hurt he hears zero words form the law and kicks everyone out for about a month. me and my dad was thinking about getting land and opening a bisness were people can ride on the land. their would be mx tracks, 300 ft drags, mud hole and trails in the woods. on the weekends their would be competitions for money and trophs. we would like your input on our idea that i think many people had in mind.

An orginized riding area sounds great!!! Add in ATV training, rentals maybe a shop.
Check to see if the local riding clubs are intrested maybe grants are available.
Don't let others discourge you if you are intrested at least check it out.
If it were available around here I would definetly be riding there. People pay what I consider to be ridiculous amounts of money to belong to golfclubs around here to swing sticks at ***** (LOL) I'll pay more for a safe place to ride!

Where we are at the nearest orginized ATV trail is about 60 miles away and it is just 7 aecers. So we wind up riding some ditches or on private land. Private land is tough to come by it is mostly crops from spring to fall and few are willing to tell you that its ok to ride because of liability. Ditches are full of hazards from culverts, intakes, garbage, and road crossings. Most of the deaths around here are rollovers and struck by cars.

Best of Luck!!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

leswind thats a cool trailblazer put a pair of kimpex tjd tracks in the rair and you have a snowmoble for winter and an atv for the rest of the year

Quick Reply: 13-yr old Boy Killed...