Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

SUNK IT!!! OOPS!!!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUNK IT !!! OOPS!!!!!

I need some info. 2005 Prairie 700. I have just filled my air box up with water and sand. I could even see sand down in the carbs. I flushed them out with carb cleaner, drained them, cleaned the air box, changed the oil, took the spark plugs out and worked the engine over a few times, to push water and debris out and it started. It will idle and take just a little bit of throttle. If I try to rev it very much it starts back firing and sputtering. I put some heet in the gas to get rid of any water. Didn't help. Im getting spark at both plugs. But I can also see spark going through the plug boot and its shocking me. Through the rubber boot..? The plugs are black as all get out. I bought a new one to compare spark. So I guess the coil is O.K.? I guess now Im going to take carbs apart and clean'em. QUESTION === has anyone ever took the carbs apart and cleaned them. How hard, and what to look out for. Or should I take to the dealer. QUESTION ===could there be anything wrong with the coil. Is there anything else I should be looking into. ************Any and all help is greatly appreciated. T H A N X ! ! !

Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default SUNK IT!!! OOPS!!!!! HELP!!!

If you sucked any of that sand into the cylinders you have been causing damage every time you start that engine. Most sand is an excellent grinding compound when caught between a piston and cylinder wall.

I would suggest you contact someone that is well versed in engine work and have a face to face discussion with them about what has happened and what your options are.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default SUNK IT!!! OOPS!!!!! HELP!!!

If you had sand in the carbs you probably also got sand in cases through the case vent in the air box. If top end damage was going to happen it probably already did. You might save the bottom end by flushing the heck out of it though.

The best way to clean the carbs is to take them completely off the unit. That way you can check the boots for dirt as well. It takes about 20 minutes to remove the carbs, not too big of deal other than avoiding getting more dirt in the engine when you remove the carbs. Almost guaranteed that water in the float bowl is your problem.

I have sunk mine a time or two as well. A well oiled K&N can really do a good job keeping the water out.