Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Piss*d off/Kawa belt light/dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *****d off/Kawa belt light/dealer

What a load of crock, belt light comes on on my 650i the other night at the end of a ride with some friends at 926 miles on the machine. I carry it to the dealer i traded with and talked to the mechanic there. I told him i thought paying the $50 dollar an hour labor charge just to reset a damn light wasnt the best idea id heard of. He agreed. I told him i had taken care of the machine that basically that light is just a gimmick and he stated the belt almost certainly didnt even need adjusting. This much i figured, he seemed an alright fella, and i told him to just check it and reset the light and it'd be 50bucks, that next time i was gonna reset it myself. He said sure and wrote up the service order and asked me if that was all i wanted done and i stated yes, reset the light and i would be up there to pick it up in a few days. I get up there today expecting what me and the guy had discussed to be the damn deal. The mechanic was not there and i spoke to an old man who was basically just a figure head at the dealership. I walk into the office area and get ready to pay and the guy sais, "looks like you owe a whole $176.30 sir". I about hit the $%#@ roof. I told him what me and the mechanic had discussed and that he was only to reset the stupid light. Well turns out it was part my fault because the guy had written on the order to basically reset light/fix belt. UMM NO. But, I had signed it because i thought MAN to MAN that we had a understanding of what i wanted done. Seems people dont operate on such a level anymore. Needless to say the guy reset the light and put a brand new belt on my 06 650i, i was pissed. There was no way that belt needed replacing, I've been riding for a long time and have owned 3 different belt drive machines....I have experience with workin' on um. A 50 dollar job wound up costing my low income butt 176bucks. 85 dollar belt ....Thats just sorry, I'm frankly ready to cut the wires to that light as i will be able to tell when theres a problem, not just "slap a new belt on 'er for em there even though that one is fine". I love my machine, but that light is a sorry *** idea, plain and simple, atleast when you have morons that cannot understand on a person to person level. Kawi's CVT is strong, it has to be with that faboulous engine, but not executed as well as Yamaha's Ultramatic. BUT alas, i still love the brute very much. I just had to vent sorry my fellow brothers as i am sure yall have experienced crap like this also lol. I wish everyone well and good riding. -Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

http://www.highlifter.com/forum/Belt...1453833/tm.htm

check the link above for belt light reset info.

You should off done it yourself.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry you experienced this. I agree it is bogus I use to own a tool truck for several years and I could not believe the things that dealerships and independent shops get away with. Trust me when I say you might meet one or two honest shops in your lifetime. Even then always be aware!

Mud

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer

I had a somewhat similar experience with a dealer. I brought my bike in for a recall on the belt per the dealers recommendation. They looked at it and said yes, we need to do a warranty replacement on your belt. A couple of days later, I go back and pick up the bike without any problems. A week after that, the dealer called and said that I needed to come in and pay for the belt because they had made a mistake and replaced it. I told them they had to be kidding, I wasn't having any problems with the previous belt and I shouldn't have to pay for their mistake. They got irate and started hollaring at me over the phone! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and hung up on them. I called Kawasaki's customer service line to report the dealer. The guy that I spoke with there said that I needed to go in and pay for the new belt because the dealer made an honest mistake, and I told him heck no. I made some comments along the lines that I can't believe that this is the way that they do business, and he told me that I wasn't a "real" Kawasaki owner because I purchased my bike used. Needless to say, I hung up and never called either party again. I have gone out of my way to purchase any parts that were not Kawasaki branded. The P300 has been a great bike, but honestly after that experience, I will strongly consider going with another brand.

By the way, the original belt only had 400 miles on it.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a dyna cdi and check your belt at every oil change. Then go back and tell that dealer to get bent. That's just my opinion.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

You might want to check with your State Attorney General, they will have a complaint line I would think, about this. Most states have a law requiring a dealership to contact you if the repairs are going to be more than 10% above the estimate. A verbal estimate is as good as a written one in Washington State, don't know about where you live. Usually there is recourse for matters of this type. If you actually agreed in writing to allow them to do any repairs they deemed necessary when you signed the repair order then you may be hosed. I would still contact the AG to see if they have had similar complaints about this dealership.

I think it would be a great idea for folks that have a problem of this type to post the name and town of the dealership so others in the area are aware of their business practices and can be on guard.

You may want to consider buying a service manual for your quad as it will walk you thru the repairs you will be wanting to do for yourself. My service manuals cost less then the price they want to change the oil and filter.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

Yea i think i would be hosed, thanks for the link BigOne, wow thats even worse with your dealership Gr8, thats plain sorry lol, you drop the big cash they holler and yell at you. Thats some good info tencubed, but i think we are both right in thinking i would be hosed do to the fact i signed the repair order without eyeballing it, which is my fault, but i thought it was understood during the conversation what was going on, but alas it wasnt. I live in southern Arkansas and traded with Milam's Honda and Kawasaki in Pine Bluff, AR. Good ridin -joe

Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

To Kenrel.

Did you get the belt back that they replaced, if so take it to another Kawaski dealer have it measured. They do have a belt gauge right from Kawaski that says if your belt is good or bad. Or just get the part number and order one sure cann't be too much.

Sounds like the guy working on it wanted to take the easy way out, even though you said only to check the belt and rest the light.

I work at a dealership, when I work on something and says not to go over 50 bucks or what ever I stick to that. It's up to the service writer to deside then either to call or just tell us to do it. Either way you shouldn't have paid for it and went right to the owner.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

Argh, no i sure didnt Cluby, that would have been a great idea but its usually during those times that a person forgets what he or she really needs to remember i reckon. Yea thats the even worse part, i gave him my Cell phone number directly so he could call me. Guess what, lol no call. Yea i somewhat know the main guy up there, but its been to long now, i have learned many lessons while living (live and learn lol) I'm still young but i just learned another lesson after this. He was the "part-time mechanic" as he informed me. -joe

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

You know that's the one thing that I hate is a crappy shop man. There the ones that wreck it for the rest of us. If your comfortable with doing the work yourself I'll try and help next time so you won't get screwed.

Quick Reply: Piss*d off/Kawa belt light/dealer