Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

break-in tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in tips

you can use it in older engines but your seals and rings better be in good condition cause the oil will find its way out synthetic flows good! thats the only reason synthetic got a bad wrap in old engines with people saying my engine started to go thru oil!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default break-in tips

syntheic oil to too slippy to use as a break in oil for most applications. i use synt, in all my vechicles but after the first oil change.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default break-in tips

yep!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default break-in tips

Yep Valvoline high milage synthetic oil actually stopped my oil consumption

Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

well, **** on that theory...riding it like I stole it...

Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Whatever. To each their own. I never had a failure or premature wearing of the engine because of it. Never. I have owned and built many gasoline powered engines. Every new vehicle I have purchased was driven like this and they are faster than the next guys that was babied. So go ahead, baby it and I'll continue to be faster.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default break-in tips

I agree, my quad has had the hell rode out of it and its the most reactive machine that i ever did drive, just jump, drift, go through the mud, up the hills, down the trails or just full speed, quads were built to drive after all

Old 03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

If your owners manual tells you to not go past half throttle for 10 hours, then not go past 3/4 throttle for 5 hours then you could do that or ride it like you stole it.

Some of my friends got dirtbikes this summer, (7 or 8 total) everyone just rode it in their normal/agressive riding styles except for one who did 1/2 throttle for 10 hours and 3/4 throttle for 5 hours.

The guy who babied it is the only one who has had problems. (well i did too, just not engine failure. i fried my cdi, but that was just random and has nothing to do with breaking it in- after all, how would you properly break in a CDI??)

My owners manual said not to race (or just rev in neutral to see how it sounds) the engine at start up when it was still cold. It also said to vary the riding a lot. So the first day i drove to a friends place, which took about 20 minutes on quad. It gets very boring just sitting there with a wide-open-throttle for 20 minutes straight, and since the manual says to vary the riding, i though "oh what the heck, just vary riding" Its much more fun cuz the front end rises and dives when you give'er and let off.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

how does full throttle, not backing off utnil I hit 65mph after the 1st hour...

Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

i just old it until it stops gaining speed as fast anymore. then i let go of the gas. Unless im going up a hill, then i just hold it. remember: you want to put a load on the engine, not a stupidly hard load, like pulling a broken-down-car up a paved 70 degree incline (just stating the worst possible conditions for ultimate traction)

I found out that you cruise faster if you go to max speed first and then go back to half throttle, than if you went with half throttle right from the start.

Just thought that might be something useful to know if you're trying to save a bit of gas so that you dont have to refill when you reach your destination.

Quick Reply: break-in tips