Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

A Few Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Quick Question

I have a KLF 250. I was riding yesterday and ran over a fallen fence and wrapped barb wire around my right rear tire and axle. After slamming to a stop I inspected the damage. The wire cut what looks like to air tubes (one connects to the brake hub and the other to the rear axle) and took some plastic off the brake wire. I traced the tubes up to the gas tank and back under the seat, but not connected to anything.

First question: What are these two tubes, what is their function, why do I need them?

When I got back to the house I cut them clean and reconnected them after sliding the hoses down a little. I am not sure if I connected the right tube back into the right place because they look identical (both didn't seem to carry any liquid just air). Also the tubing was shorter at the top due to the cuts but still came out at roughly the same place just six inches higher.

Second Question: Does it matter what tube goes into the brake hub and what tube goes into the rear axle?
Third Question: Does it matter if the tube is shorter?

The plastic covering on the brake wire was ripped off in a small place. The wire had very little damage (it was very very very lightly frayed on top). I am very aware of safety, but with the very light fray I could not justify new brake cord. I clean cut the plastic covering and used heavy duty black duck tape to protect the exposed wire.

Third Question: Was this a good fix or do I need to replace the brake line and plastic covering?

This last question has nothing to do with the above.

Fourth Question: When I adjust the brakes how tight should they be? They came from the factory with a lot of play, but I like to have tight brakes. Does it matter how I set up the brakes or can I cause damage to the machine or reduce the life of the brakes?

I am new to the ownership of ATV's. This is the first ATV that I have ever owned. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joshua

Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

1. Does the one going to the rear axle connect to the differential? If so it would be the atmospheric vent. You will need to repair it to keep water and crap out. They usually run into the frame or under the seat. I don't know what would be connected to your brake hub but it might also be a vent if it is a sealed brake.

2. I can't see why it would matter which one goes where as long as they aren't connected as you don't want differential oil in your brakes.

3. A new brake cable is relatively cheap compared to a new head.

4. As long as the brake isn't dragging and causing heat buildup and wear you can leave them as tight as you want imo.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I sucked and blew on both tubes and thankfully all I got was air and no fluid.

No it doesn't go to the differential just straight out of the axle about two inches from where the tube is coming out of the brake. The axle and differential look sealed together, but the differential is on the left side and the vent is on the right side (looking at it from the back) about 1 to 2 feet apart.

The tubing is back in great shape. I made a clean cut on both tubes and reconnected them. They are sealed tight with no holes. The only change to them is that they are six inches shorter and don't go as far into the engine area as they once did.

I agree with your comment about the brake line and my head. I am the least bit concerned about the brake line. (Hardly any damage the plastic did its job) My concern lies with the duct tape protecting it from the elements. The tape only covers about an inch of the line and replaces a very thin plastic covering. My concern is can the tape protect it similiar to the covering.

Thanks for you quick response gardingh!

Joshua

Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

No, problem. I really don't know for sure what the tubes are for but if they are clear then I guess you're good to go. I don't know how long the tape will stay on there but as long as you stay out of the water and such I guess it will be alright. You could buy some liquid tape and paint it on or disconnect the cable and slip some shrink tubing over it and then seal it up that way. Is it an actual cable or a linkage of some kind? Does the cable have to be independent of the covering to function properly is what I'm trying to get at. If not, I would put some liquid tape or shrink tubing on it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

I was looking at the parts diagrams at Kawasaki.com and it looks like they are breather hoses to prevent pressure etc. I really would replace that brake cable even if it is only slighty frayed, especially if the fray is in a tubed area (normally covered) as any little fray can cause a catch on the tubing resulting in sticking causeing undesired performance or unresponsive when applying the brakes- ( I found out the hard way with a throttle cable in a car). I know that it may not seem like a big deal at first but it doesnt take a cable long to unravel once is has any fray.
Good luck!