Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Update on Used 300 Bayou

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 09:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, things were going nicely until tonight when I tried to start it. I first cleaned the carb with cleaner and based on the color coming thru the dump tube, it had varnished from dried fuel of years past. However, I got it flushed nicely. I tightened the dump screw and filled it with fuel. However, fuel continued to flow thru the dump tube. Being anxious to see if it would start, I plugged the dump tube and prepared to start it (don't know why it is still dumping as screw seems seated).

Anyway, I gave it a shot of Ether in the breather and turned it over several times with full choke. Tried pumping the throttle a few times too. Not even a backfire. I pulled the plug and it was wet. I dried it and tested the spark and it sparked nicely. I put it back in and tried again but backed the choke down to half this time. Got a small backfire, maybe from the ether but it did not come close to starting. Tried several more times and no fire. Checked the plug again and it did not seem wet this time.

Not sure what to do next. I may need to pull the carb for a closer inspection but that looks like a hassle. Any ideas?

Old 12-26-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Take out your spark plug and put your thumb over the spark plug hole. THen turn over the motor using the pull start. Does it have enough compression to blow off you thumb? It may not have enough compression.

Old 12-27-2000, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Some good advice on that can of either, throw it as far as you can.That stuff is hard on the piston, and gaskets. Never use that stuff its bad news it will dry your piston head, and rings out to where you have no lubrication. Your machine will start just fine with gas. Now, on that gas running through the dump tube. Take a long handled screw driver and tap on the carb on all sides while the vent dump is open, and not plugged from the bottom until the gas stops running out You probably have a little piece of gunk holding it open is all. Be sure that you drained all old gas out so that you dont contaminate it again when it refills. Good luck, Also make sure you have a NEW plug, NOT A old one that you cleaned up.

Old 12-27-2000, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

Kewlpop speaks the truth...there's no fork in the road here. You must get into that carb and give it some attention. The steady escape of fuel is certainly an indication of float problems, and where there's a sticky float, there are gunked-up jets. The carb is easiest to extricate when attacking from the top. Take the front plastic then the fuel tank. (You'll want to drain it anyhow). The Carb Tech article found elsewhere in this site can be your guide. Once out, a quick visual inspection will tell you whether proceeding with this project is something you want to do. Chances are you can avoid alot of frustration by purchasing another carb. If you have good spark, I'd say it's worth it. The rest of this machine is pretty much bullet-proof. Keep us advised of your progress!

Old 12-27-2000, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

I believe he said the DUMP tube is still flowing. If this is the one at the bottom of the Float bowl it has nothing to do with the float sticking. I think there may be foreign material in the Dump Tube's cut off valve screw not letting it seal. Thus not letting the machine get enough fuel to start. If it is another hose stop reading here.

Shut the Gas Tank supply valve and let the dump tube go dry. Back the Dump tube screw valve all the way out. Pull the hose off and then open the gas tank supply valve and flush it some. If you can, look in the screw hole to see if the culprit is still there. Maybe wiggle a Paper clip wire in it a little. No force or you will damage the seat.
Close the gas tank supply valve and put it all back and open the gas tank supply valve and see if it will seal. If not you may have to remove the float bowl to see the problem.
NEVER try to start it with gas flowing out ANYWHERE. Make sure any spilled gas has dried.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-2000, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

therock, you are right, I was talking about the dump tube so it should have nothing to do with a stuck float or anything like that. The dump screw is apparently not seating properly. I will try flushing it again. However, I may need to concede and take it to the shop for a complete carb overhaul. It has sat too long and been neglected for years. Hoses need replacement, jets and O rings need inspection, etc. Even if I get it running, it is not going to run properly without further work.

Plus, the shop can look over a few other things and offer suggestions on things I might do myself.

Old 12-28-2000, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Tealboy. You have to get a compression test to have a base to start from,even if you just want to rent a tester for the day, because you do not know the history of this bike.If the compression is not bad than you should be able to get the bike going with min. expense.You can ask question in any forum besides this one because all carbs and 4 strokes are the same, and you are more aped to find someone to help you if you ask everywhere.

Old 12-28-2000, 05:14 AM
Trailblazer

Tealboy, here is a site that is very helpful with what you have going on with that carb. I always try to do my own work before i take anything into anyone. See what you can learn from this site its very educational. hondaex.com you will see a site called carb tips click on that most all these carbs are basically the same. Good luck