Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

700 Backfiring through carbs ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Backfiring through carbs ???

I work part time a a tractor dealership that also sells Kawasaki and I'm stuck on a Prarire 700. I was a trade in that had been setting for about a year and now it's my job to get it ready to sell. I've cleaned the carbs, put fresh gas in it, new plugs, air filter, oil and filter and checked all the vents. It runs great at idle and low speeds put when you rev it up it bogs down and starts backfiring through the carbs. I've checked the crank sensor, plug wires belt sensor and carb adjustments and they all look fine. Man I'm stumped now. I don't have acess to a tach and I'm not sure if the MAC tools timing light i have will work on an ATV (anyone know for sure). When I removed the plug where you check the timing while the engine was running it blew the plug out of my hand and blew oil out, is this normal? I've went through the entire list on the trouble shooting section in the service manual, except for checking the timing, and everything looks good. Anyon have any ideas? The owner would like to get this ATV out in front next week so she can try to get it sold but until I get it to run. Man if anyone can help I sure would be in debt to you.

Man my first post and I jump right in with a big question.... Actually I was a member before but have been gone for a while and can't remember all my old info. I used to be called TexasPsycho.

Help..........

Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Trailblazer

If its backfiring thru the carbs, you're probably on the lean side.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I agree with newbruterider. Could be a timing issue, but timing issues don't pop up by sitting. One of the circuites are still dirty in the carb. Those holes are super small. Confirm they are clear with carb cleaner. Also confirm while runing by pulling on the choke a bit and see how it runs. If it clears up you still have a carb problem.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

As soon as I'm over this flu I came down with Sat I guess I'll tear the carbs down again. I stripped the carbs copletely and soaked everything in Berrymans last week and then installed a rebuild kit in both carbs. I cleaned all the passage ways out with air and tip cleaners but that doesn't mean something couldn't have gotten sucked back in. We don't know for sure if it was doing this when the man traded it in but he claims it was running fine when he stopped riding it. What keeps making me think it could be the timing is when it backfires it blows fire out the carbs sometimes. I feel like crap this weekend so I'm not going to even worry about it until I feel better, man having the flu in the summer sucks! Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another try sometime this week.