Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my 360 won't start...along with the 250 now!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 360 won't start...along with the 250 now!!

ok, i have an 07 360. Barely 10hrs on it total. Today I get off work early, and pack it up to go riding. It starts in the garage just fine...well, I usually have to choke it to get started till it's warmed up.

My sons bike (also 07) is a 250 Bayou. His has been giving me trouble starting and staying running. Would have to keep the choke on if i was just idling. It looked to be pretty much out of gas, and wouldn't start today, so i wheeled it up the ramp. Figured i'll get gas in it then get it to go.

Well, at the trails...it won't start. So i start mine up, take it off the trailer and put him on it so i can look at his bike. While he's sitting there putting his helmet and gloves on, it kills. Can't get it re-started now.

After numerous attempts, i finally flooded it out. I drained the carb and checked the air filter. Everything seems ok. Every now and again it seems like it wants to turn over, but then it's a no go.

I load them back up, head back home and repeat the draining process. Clean out he filter...etc.

Finally the battery dies. so i hook it up to the 12v charger. Since i first got it, it seems like it idles really low. If i tighten the idle so it idles higher, do you think it will help? I have no clue why it won't turn.

Same thing with my sons bike. But his has been hinting on a problem lately. I think the throttle cable needs adusting as well as the idle...what ya'll think?

So I have 2 2007 bikes with less than 10 hours on them and niether will start!! I got a old Kawi that's was floated in Katrina flood and been to hell and back and it fires up on the first push then runs like a champ!! LOL. I am thinking the new bikes are just that...new. They both seemed to run perfect once they warmed up. But whenever we first start them for a ride, they are touchy. Problem is, can't start either now.

Again...it's probably something simple. I just never had experience working on these bikes before.

Another thing...they've both been sitting up for about 1 month. I started the 360 on the 4th of July to move it, but that's it.

Any ideas? Want to get them running for this weekend.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

On the 250 did you completely tear down and clean the carb? It could be that there is something stuck in one of the jets or air passages. The pilot screw should be 2 1/2 turns out. And make sure you check and see that the carb vent lines are not kinked or plugged. Also it could be your spark plug is bad. Yeah it only has 10 hours on it but it could be a bad plug from the factory.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

no, all i did was check the airbox and drain the carb. Something clogging a jet was on my maybe list too.

I'm going to go more in depth tomorrow. It does seem like fuel flow is restricted.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

it could be that yours has a clogged jet too. could be that you have junk in your gas can that you use to fill them both and thats why they both started acting up at the same time. so look down in your can and make sure theres no water or chunks of stuff in it.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

At "barely 10 hours" it is porbably still under warrenty ---- why not slide it in for the warrenty check? I have been fortunate with mine as ---- knock on wood ---- it has always worked well and if it didn't I might be tempted to carefully tinker now that it is off warrenty. Likely something as simple as dirty or stale gas but the dealership should be able to track it down real quick --- and if there is a defective part replace it for free ......