Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 220 engine swap OR Mods / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bayou 220 engine swap OR Mods / suspension

Thanks for the correction I didn't catch that still 16.76 is close enough to 17 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. The other thing that I noticed from comparing the online fiche is that the carburetor is the same but they have changed the jetting between the models and even changed it from year to year.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like I'm a little late to this party, but.... My bayou ***** n gits now. I've bored it out 40 over (the max I think). New valves and ported n polished. Bigger carb and KN filter. Took the baffle out and it still isn't very loud. I milled about .050 off the head and took the base gasket out. I also backed the valve lash off a bit to give the cam a shorter duration (and a bit less lift, but lift is not that important anyway). I put a set of swamplite 25 inch tires on the back and jacked the back shocks up a couple inches. I put 23 inch kenda claws on the front and moved the front a-arms under the frame and out an inch or so. The front is much wider now and I gain a few inches of ground clearance. It brought the front up level with the back. It weighs in at 450lbs now and will still pull the front end up in 3rd without much problem.

Oh I also filled the holes that bolt the pickup coil to the engine so I can slide it forward some to advance the timing. I think that made it slower, but I'm too lazy to take it back apart and put it back.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

i would really like to see some pics of your a arm setup and your rear lift setup. also what kind of piston are you using and did you have to mill out the valve reliefs pockets to make up for milling .050 off the head. if you can get pics and email them pm me for my email addy

Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'll work on gettin some pics together. I'm using whatever wiseco offers for the 220, the biggest one, I think its 40 over. I didn't do any milling to the piston and it doesn't need any even before I backed off on the lash. I checked it carefully with the engine assembled and the cam chain in the correct position and then a tooth before and after the correct postion. So I know the valves will never hit. I milled the head right down until it started cutting into the valves. I ported the exhaust heavily. Pretty much standard procedure on everything since everything always seems to have smaller exhaust components. Didn't do much to the intake except polish it. The biggest problem you will see from milling is that the cam chain is now too long for the tensioner. It was a problem I didn't see coming. So, while you have the jug off, mill the surface where the tensioner bolts on. Myself, I have to figure something else out since mine is already put together. So far it hasn't been a dire emergency.

I think the biggest performance increase came from the carb. Its off a suzuki 230 quadsport. I think its a 26mm, but not too sure, that's just what guys on other forums said they think. Anyhow, it is a lot bigger than the Kaw carb. I had to drill the main jet out because the kaw doesn't have the vacuum that the 230 had (if you really need to know, I can find out what size bit I used). I used a guitar string to file away at the pilot jet, lol, but it worked.

Another big problem with these engines is the cam. The book says 272 for the intake and 260 for the exhaust. I think it should be the other way around, but not much I can do about it except try to make the intake duration shorter by backing off the lash (can't make the exhaust longer). Actually, my crude measurements came closer to a 300 duration, which is absurd for a utility. Usually 270's for cars require a high-stall torque convertor and a very light weight car or very big engine to work out right. My engine is small and my quad is big.... even if it just a 272 duration.

Anyway, I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them and send them via email to anybody that pm their email to me.