Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone have the KFX90?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the KFX90?

My daughter is almost 7 and has been riding a 50cc quad since the age of 3. I know what your thinkin, HOLY COW! 3yrs old?? lol before ya jump down on me for starting her so young, she wasn't pushed at all, wore all the gear, Helmet, gloves, pants, boots etc. I walked behind her with a teather until she had the hang of it then to give a sense of i'm doing it myself, at age 4 i installed a remote kill and watched from a distance with the thumb on the kill button. She has 10 acres to ride on mostly wide open. anyways she is now almost 7 and i wanna buy her a KFX90. I like this bike because it has disc brakes (in the rear), a throttle limiter, and a clutch limiter so she has the power to get up the hills or in deep grass but it keeps it at a manageable pace as to not get bucked off it. Does anyone currently own the KFX90, if so how do you like it?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't own a KFX90 but my 7y/o son has a Chinese 110cc quad. Theres nothing wrong with starting them out young at all. I wish I had the chances to do stuff that fun when I was a kid. As long as your safe and they have rules and follow those rules all is good. My son tears it up on his doing doughnuts and climbing little hills on his. I'm hoping to be able to sell the Chinese quad and get him a better one soon. The Chinese quads are hard to find parts for.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

Young is fine...my son was 7 and I started him on a Polaris 90 with all the protection. I actually removed the throttle limiter because it became more of a danger than a protection. They do make sense on bigger ATV's that have plenty of power, but when they are on hills, they need the power to climb. My son is 9 now and has out grown the 90. It just doesnt have the ground clearance or power needed on most intermediate trails. I am actually in the market for a new ATV and considering the NEW 2008 250 Raptor. Before everyone freaks out, I'm open to suggestions, but there is not much on the market between 90cc and 250cc for young riders, Also, my son races a KX65, so i'm not concerned about the power and it weighs about the same as his 90cc.

Still shopping around...

Old 11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya, she is ready to tear it up and the 50cc just doesn't have enough oomph! if she stops on a hill or gets in some deep stuff it just doesn't have the power to get her through. My first dirtbike ever was a Suzuki TM125 that i could barely reach the ground on, i bought it from mowing lawns. Then i went to a YZ 125 which was night and day difference in power, i was 13, then i went to an IT 500 with compression release and all at 16. I am a bit bigger as i am 6'3" but i wasn't then and those bikes probably shoulda killed me. I rode sensable, (well kinda lol.Maybe a little parental intervention was needed) But anyways i think it'll make a nice bike for her with proper guidence and gear. I live in Michigan and it is not a law to be 12yrs of age to ride a 90cc atv, that is manufacturer safety, they won't sell it to you if you tell them your son or daughter is under 12, so my dealer said, (don't tell me)! It is a law however to be 12yrs of age to ride local ORV trails, so for now she'll ride my 10 acres.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 11 year son has a KFX 90 ,We have had for about a year with no problems that can be blamed on the 90 new rider stuff. I have removed the speed limiter on the belt drive only to have him out run me on my 250 Bayou ,so I turned the throttle limit screw in to slow him down . Its been a very relible unit and is used about 10 hours a week of hard rideing by my 11 year old . How heres the fact about the KFX 90 its made by KYMCO for Kawi the same as the mongosse 90 just the plastic is different so you mite save some $$ if theres a kymco dealer near .I bought mine from a Kawi dealer ,My brother real good deal . But I have bought parts at the Kymco dealer belts , Brake pads ,and thinking of buying a kymco 150 in a couple of years when my son out grows the 90 .

Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Found a new cdi box for the KFX50/90 that works(14000rpms). Give a shout when your ready for a little more rev!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thats pretty cool, i'm not sure she's ready for that yet, but good to know. Who knows, maybe she'll wanna race. Are they really made by Kymco? I wouldn't have figured that, but nowadays most small machines are either made by someone else or at least the engines are. Typically there are some cheaper parts and some cut corners on the cheaper models but i don't know if thats the case or your just payin for the name. I do know i have friends that bought their kids jap atv's, one owns a Kasea 50 or a 90 and all have had problems with em. My buddy could only afford a little jap 50 for his kid that was bought off e-bay new and it won't pull itself out of it's own way, i worked on it and removed the two shoe clutch and turned it into a direct belt drive pretty easily and it's much better. direct i mean like a snowmobile with primary and secondary. lol pretty much a waste of $400 but if thats what ya can afford, we'll make it work. I'm glad to hear about the kfx90 being reliable as thats most important. Kids have short attention span and it needs to run when they wanna ride or they lose interest pretty easy.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

Take a look at the Can Am DS 90 X. This looks like a good ATV that will have the ability to go most placs largers ATV's will go. Not sure what the MSPR is? It's a great looking ATV.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the KFX 90 for my nephew, who is 7 yrs old, he loves it. He put 10hrs on it in less than a week and not one single problem. He goes most of the places we ride except where there a large rocks. Yes, It has a Kymco label on the frame.

I got his KFX 90 in WV for $1795 not too bad considering how it's built. I have seen some leftovers for $1595 at one of the local dealers.

P.S. Airmobile could you please send me the info on that CDI box.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: icemanls2

Thats pretty cool, i'm not sure she's ready for that yet, but good to know. Who knows, maybe she'll wanna race. Are they really made by Kymco? I wouldn't have figured that, but nowadays most small machines are either made by someone else or at least the engines are. Typically there are some cheaper parts and some cut corners on the cheaper models but i don't know if thats the case or your just payin for the name. I do know i have friends that bought their kids jap atv's, one owns a Kasea 50 or a 90 and all have had problems with em. My buddy could only afford a little jap 50 for his kid that was bought off e-bay new and it won't pull itself out of it's own way, i worked on it and removed the two shoe clutch and turned it into a direct belt drive pretty easily and it's much better. direct i mean like a snowmobile with primary and secondary. lol pretty much a waste of $400 but if thats what ya can afford, we'll make it work. I'm glad to hear about the kfx90 being reliable as thats most important. Kids have short attention span and it needs to run when they wanna ride or they lose interest pretty easy.</end quote></div>
Yes, its made by Kymco!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone have the KFX90?