Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

220 batyou problem..please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220 batyou problem..please help

I have a 91 bayou 220 and I recently had to put in a new cam tensioner and I believed i had it timed right the marks were pointing at each other like the book said. now that is is back together all it does is turn over and doesnt seem to try to fire. It does have spark any ideas what to try next? this has been sitting for a few months and Id love to get it back running thanks for any ideas

Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

You had to reset the cam timing after installing the cam tensioner? Unless you removed the chain, you didn't have to. Anyway, I assume you aligned the "T" mark on the flywheel to the "slot" on the Timing inspection thread hole when you set the timing marks on the cam sprocket and the head. Just double check it to make sure. Fuel, compression and spark - it should fire right up.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually it has been a long dragged out process with this darn thing ..it all started back when i used the selenoid off it to try and start my other 220 before i went to buy a new one well when i put it back on i reversed the wires and have had a nightmare since. i know the top marks are set right and quite sure the bottom are as well it almost sounds like no compression it just turns over and over...should i go get a can of started fluid and see it that works and if there is no change what do i look for next please help

Old 11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Measure the compression and see what you get. The gauge is less than $20 from Harbor Freight.
Other things to check.
> Make sure your compression Release Lever is not at the UP position (sticking?).
> Even if the spark plug looks clean, try a brand new NGK plug (it happened to me).
> Blk/Yel wire from the igniter must be grounded.
> Unscew the fuel bowl of the carb and see if fuel would drain out and refill immediately.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i tried the starter fluid in the carb..no change..
ot has a brand new ngk plug installed and the compression lever is down so i guess the next step is a compression test? like i said it was all running great until i hooked up the selonoid backwarks and now all this from what i can see the timing marks on top are lined up and when it is the notches for the keyways on the bottom shaft are a little left of 12 o-clock which i believe was right..is there a way it could be 180 degrees out? again thanks for any ideas and help

Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok next question is how do I check if the crank is set at time? the book shows a t on the flywheel but i dont know where to check it on the mark..is it thru the little hole on the top of the side cover and if so i checked it 2 time once the timing marks looked right on the top also and the second time it looked 180 degrees out..could it be that far off and thats why it seems like no compression please help and thank you

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I thought you already synch the crank/flywheel to the cam by aligning the little "slot" on the inspection hole to the "T" mark on the crank. You must turn the crank COUNTERCLOCK wise. If you think you are 180 deg out, just rotate one more 180 deg and try it. I would still say you should check the compression with a guage.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It cant be 180 out. Everytime the crank makes a turn the flywheel passes by the pickup coil and tells the cdi to tell the coil to fire. Therefore, its not possible to be 180 out.

If it was running good before you did the solenoid thing, the compression should be good enough for it to run again. Did you mess with the valve adjusters while you adjusting the timing marks? If a valve is not closing you wont have compression either.

If you pull the pull start, does it seem to have compression then?

I never fool around with timing marks. I use a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole to find TDC and then adjust the cam from there. Just be careful with the screwdriver.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i just checked it with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole..when the piston was at the top the mark on the top (cam shaft)was 180 degrees off and when the mark was in line the piston was bottomed..does that mean its 180 degree out? thanks tim

Old 11-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know, I would have to dig out my book again n look. Just use the screwdriver to find TDC and put the cam sprocket like the books says and you should be all set. The spark plug fires on the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke.