Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki/Arctic cat/Zuk 400 Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki/Arctic cat/Zuk 400 Question

On the fuel petcock, there is a place that says PRI. What does this stand for??

Seems like this is the "off" position for the fuel, but my 400 runs and runs and runs when the gas is turned to this position!

If this is not the off position, what is??

I like to run the fuel out of the carb prior to storing it.

Any help appreciated!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

PRI is the prime position which means fuel will run regardless if the engine is running or not. This is what you would use to drain your tank or to fill your carb bowl. There is no fuel off postion. It won't release fuel when its not running unless its in the PRI postion.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing you can do when storing any kind of internal combustion engine that you store for over a month at a time is to use a fuel stabilizer , like Stabil or my vavorite for over 2 year's now is Sea Foam ; Sea Foam is a fuel Cleaner/Stabilzer that keep's the fuel system clean and also help's keep the combustion chamber clear of carbon deposit's !

You can get the Sea Foam at most all Auto Parts Stores like , Auto Zone , Advance and O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores ; i get it at my local O'Reillys Auto Parts Store for $5.99 + tax it keep's fuel fresh longer than anything i've used in over 20 yrs. in Small Engine Service And Repair !

It does more than stabilize your fuel like the Stabil Fuel Stabilizer i had used for so many year's , i didn't know about Sea Foam or Deep Creep whitch is the same as Sea Foam only it come's in a spray can untill 2 yrs. ago and it's been on the market since 1947 ; Sea Foam is safe in 2 and 4 stroke engine's gasoline and diesel !

One 16 oz. can will treat's up to 25 gallon's of fuel , and as i stated before it clean's the entire fuel system ; and the combustion chamber of carbon deposit's that can cause sticky valves , rings and lifters of any engine from Automobile's to your lawn and garden equipment Gas Or Deisel !.........

Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AIRMOBILE101

PRI is the prime position which means fuel will run regardless if the engine is running or not. This is what you would use to drain your tank or to fill your carb bowl. There is no fuel off postion. It won't release fuel when its not running unless its in the PRI postion.</end quote></div>

Interesting.....
Now why would they not have an "off" position??

How are you supposed to run the carb dry??

What is it about the quad that won't allow it to release fuel if the motor is not running??

Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Williebee

The best thing you can do when storing any kind of internal combustion engine that you store for over a month at a time is to use a fuel stabilizer , like Stabil or my vavorite for over 2 year's now is Sea Foam ; Sea Foam is a fuel Cleaner/Stabilzer that keep's the fuel system clean and also help's keep the combustion chamber clear of carbon deposit's !

You can get the Sea Foam at most all Auto Parts Stores like , Auto Zone , Advance and O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores ; i get it at my local O'Reillys Auto Parts Store for $5.99 + tax it keep's fuel fresh longer than anything i've used in over 20 yrs. in Small Engine Service And Repair !

It does more than stabilize your fuel like the Stabil Fuel Stabilizer i had used for so many year's , i didn't know about Sea Foam or Deep Creep whitch is the same as Sea Foam only it come's in a spray can untill 2 yrs. ago and it's been on the market since 1947 ; Sea Foam is safe in 2 and 4 stroke engine's gasoline and diesel !

One 16 oz. can will treat's up to 25 gallon's of fuel , and as i stated before it clean's the entire fuel system ; and the combustion chamber of carbon deposit's that can cause sticky valves , rings and lifters of any engine from Automobile's to your lawn and garden equipment Gas Or Deisel !.........</end quote></div>

Thanks for the info.
I am aware of Stabil, and such products. I just never have used them because I was able to run the carb dry on all my other ATVs.

It is confusing as to why you are not allowed to do this on the zuk 400 and its clones??

Old 12-21-2007, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider

Go ahead and pull off your fuel line from the carb and see what happens(while the engine is off). The only fuel that will come out is what is in the fuel line. The carb has a drain hose at the bottom of the carb bowl, loosen the screw and the fuel will drain. I know it sounds crazy, I didnt design it, I just ride it!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So you will need to have it set at PRI and the carb bowl drain screw open if you want to drain the tank and carb. Leave it on RUN/RES and open carb bowl drain screw if you only want to drain the carb. Hope that helps!!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AIRMOBILE101

Go ahead and pull off your fuel line from the carb and see what happens(while the engine is off). The only fuel that will come out is what is in the fuel line. The carb has a drain hose at the bottom of the carb bowl, loosen the screw and the fuel will drain. I know it sounds crazy, I didnt design it, I just ride it!![img][/img]

So you will need to have it set at PRI and the carb bowl drain screw open if you want to drain the tank and carb. Leave it on RUN/RES and open carb bowl drain screw if you only want to drain the carb. Hope that helps!!</end quote></div>

Sounds good!

Thanks again for the info! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 , it has a 376cc Suzuki Engine and Suzuki's Durramatic Belt Driven Clutch ; it doesn't have a petcok to turn off the fuel because it has the fuel tank under the rear of the atv !

It has a fuel pump inside the fuel tank , but i had a 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ 4x4 and it had a petcock with , on/off/reserve ; but if you prefer to drain your carb on your quad you can add a cut off valve between the tank and carb !

You can get the cutoff valve from any Small Engine Service and Repair Shop for around 8 to 10 dollar's , and you can also add an inline clear fuel filter that you can tell at a glance if you get trash/dirt or water in your fuel tank ; but i would still mix some Stabil or Sea Foam to the fuel in my tank and run the engine untill it burned the regular untreated fuel from the carb into the engine before storing it !

This will ensure that even the smallest film off untreated fuel doesn't turn into varnish in the carb as well as in the rest of the fuel system , and combustion chamber ; i had to let my 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV sit up with 21 gallon's of gas at $3.00 a gallon sit up for over a year before i could get the part's after in jump time in my drive way !

So i poured a 16 oz. can into the tank to keep the fuel from going bad , and it saved me from loosing no telling how much money ; i had over $2000.00 in the Jimmy and i was going to sell it because it had started smoking right after i bought it !

It had over 303 thousand miles on it and had begun to smoke after it would reach normal engine temperture , but only on take off's every time after stopping at a traffic light or stop sign ; i would look in the driver's side mirrow to see a cloud of white blue smoke that would clear after i got going !

I only kept the Jimmy because i had to have the transmissin pulled and new seal's and mount in my 87' Chevy S10 Tahoe lonbed pickup , so after i got the Jimmy going i drove it untill i used a half tank ; and i was going to sell the Jimmy to my brother for what ever he would offer me for it after i got my truck going !

After i burned a half tank i went to the local Racetrack Gas Station , and topped off the tank with regular 87 Octane unleaded and on the way home it stopped smoking ; and has been smoke free for over 8 month's it's now my daily driver !

The treated fuel had been in the tank over a year and it burned as good as when i put it in the tank , and the Sea Foam is what kept it fresh for over a year ; and it did what it claimed to do cleaned the combustion chamber of carbon deposit's that were causing the engine's Ring's and valve's to stick causing the smoking !

I mix my 2 and 4 stroke gas in jug's to keep fresh from one season to the next , without having to pour it out like i did with the stabil alone ; i highy recomend it to anyone who store's any internal combustion engine for over a month at a time to and everyone who has tried it love it !..........