Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BIGGUN or SUPERTRAPP IDS-2 for my MOJAVE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 10:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought exhaust for my mojave. I called DG, cobra, supertrap and white brothers and asked for dyno charts and jetting information, seemed a reasonable request for a 15 year old bike. Everyone gave me a " Duh... we dont have any dyno charts" except white brothers. White brothers had dyno charts. I wasnt crazy about the white bro design as I didnt want my plastic sooted up, so I figured the supertrap was a close match. I ordered from chaparal (rocky mountain only carries the supertrapp Quiet series, NOT the race series). I put the header on and the intermediate megaphone to muffler pipe would not line up. I called supertrap with the part numbers stamped on each piece, they said I had the correct part number on each item and the problem was "most likely the welding jig slipped" They wanted me to box it up..all the pieces and I had PAY to ship it to them, they would examine it and send it back. I told them I had already mail order purchased it and paid for shipping, and now supertrapp wanted me to pay to ship it to them. I went as high up on the chain of command as I could and no one would pay to return their "screwed up part". I boxed it up returned it to chapparal. I just bought the whit bro from another vendor and it went on super easy. The fit and finish of the white bro is much superior to supertrap. All the parts are either aluminum or stainless and CNC'd. Supertrapp on the other hand, the mounting brakets are sheet aluminum punched/extruded mounting brackets (cheap), aluminum parts, steel (which was rusted) and painted steel, and the paint was flaked off with surface rust.

To fix the sooting issue with the WB I ordered a 9-3 o'clock heat shield. WB says the power gain is 10% which is reasonable for a 4 stroke, however the WB dyno test is for a mojave modified with bigger cams, so they too dont present a comparison which is stock vs stock with muffler. Stock mojave is about 14-15 HP so after tuning expect 15-16. I think big gun has made a typo in their adds or has falsified data as a 6 HP gain puts the mojave in at 21 HP, that doesnt make sense as a banshee is about 30. Their aint no way a mojave (250 4stroke 1 cylinder)is 10 HP less than a banshee (350 twin cylinder 2 stroke) with just a pipe. Big gun must have done several other things to their test bike in addition to the exhaust. I hope this helps some

Old 01-17-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I purchased the ids2 from Rocky Mountain. Tried to put it on and had ALL kinds of probs. with alignment too. I also discovered that where the head pipe has a collar welded to it had a bad weld. You could see daylight. Found this after beating it on due to such a tight fit then had an exhaust leak that couldn't find. Pulled the head pipe and there it was. Getting it back apart was no easy matter either. Beat it back on and when adjusting it I broke a screw off in the silencer had to take it apart again. Couldn't get the packing out so beat it out. By now the exhaust looks horrible and I haven't even rode it yet. Came home typed an email to Supertrapp. Jim Gladish contacted me and sent me a new kit NO CHARGE. I even told him I dented it with a hammer cause the son 0f a ..... wouldn't come apart. He said "NO PROBLEM". Sent me a new kit and issued calltag on the "old" one with no questions after I got it boxed up. The new kit went together like a dream. Haven't had a prob. yet. You may want to contact Jim and hopefully he'll take care of you too. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Point made, but Splitfire sponsors riders as well and they are using NJK! I think team green uses what works. I think that is why they lead the pack. I went to the Ironman in IN and saw it myself.