Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Slime in tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slime in tires

Yep, I agree with these guys, slime works well. I use it when I have slow leaks on my lawn mowers, ATVs, kid's tricycle (they have big rubber tires, not like the small hard ones I had as a kid). Years later, I never have to re-add any more later. I use the reccomended amount. Never had any problems with my ATVs and slime.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

I slimed my tires simply because walking is out of the question due to a bad back. (too many motorcycle and auto wrecks)

It's cheap insurance especially when I'm somewhere out in the middle of timbucktoo, noman's land and up a crick.

And while we are on the subject of tire protection, why haven't I seen a ATV or UTV packing a spare tire? Or have I just missed it?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

Which tire would you pack? Mine has different wheels on front and back? I think for tire protection many people pack a plug kit, much smaller to haul around.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ohnet

Which tire would you pack? Mine has different wheels on front and back? I think for tire protection many people pack a plug kit, much smaller to haul around.</end quote></div>

I dunno, plug kit seems the logical choice. But if you was truly stylin' you could have a continental kit on the back of your quad with a universal sized tire and wheel that would fit either front or back. Of course if you gonna have a continental kit you'd need a wet bar too I suppose.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime in tires

Slime is one of the sponsors of our race truck and I will vouch for how well it works, and trust me we punish tires! We ran an entire season(7 races) and had only 2 flats, and those were sidewall gashes. I have it in all my bikes, ATVs and trucks.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

There are two different Slimes out there...the plain green "light duty" stuff and the HD green stuff with black bits (of rubber?) mixed in with the goop. The HD stuff is about $28 for a gallon with a pump at wally world. I've used slime for 6 or 7 years and never had a flat and that includes tons of cactus needles and jagged rocks in Nebraska, Oregon and Utah. My buddy in Utah rides 1500-2000 miles a year with rocks and cactus everywhere. He has had to plug a couple of his Dirt Devils over the years, but the HD Slime takes care of everything else. I personally haven't had any issues with high speed balance like one poster mentioned. I've driven for miles at 50 mph on blacktop to get to certain riding areas with no issues. It's pretty "wet" and I assumed would distribute equally around the perimeter of the tire.

A couple of other things that are really nice...it's water soluble and easy to clean up, plus it make a pretty decent tire lube for mounting tires.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slime in tires

how about cold weather talking below zero type weather ,does it throw the balence off then ?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime in tires

has not on mine yet. But I havent drove 50m ph when its that cold either.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Default Slime in tires

Slime is good on a slower quad but on a bike that you will be running over 50 MPR it will make your tires so out of ballance it will feel like you bent an axle when you reach speeds exceeding that. I had it happen and it drove me crazy until I figured out it was the slime in my tires.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

I got about half a jug of the stuff left over in the garage. I'll try to remember to toss it in my freezer tonight and see if it freezes or stiffens up. Last I checked my freezer was 0 deg. F. Now you've got my curiosity up...

Quick Reply: Slime in tires