Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Slime in tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slime in tires

Has anybody used the slime in their tires? Pros or Cons? I will be driving in Southwest Texas where there are thorns everywhere. Can you still patch a tire after you slime it? Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. I drive an '07 BF 650.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Slime in tires

For starters, I buy the innner tubes with the slime for my kids bicycles. The slime wont seal tiny little holes. My boy got a long nail in his quad tire and I pulled it out, put the slime in and aired it up and rolled the tire around so the slime would be sitting on the hole. It never sealed it. I had to put a plug in it. I have had no luck with this stuff. But it is cheap insurance and cant hurt. I had no problem plugging the tire with the slime in it.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime in tires

I have slime in all of my atv tires and it plugs any hole I have ever put in. If it was a large enough hole I put in a plug and then air it up and drive it around and the slime seals around the plug as well.

I had sidewall leaks around a tire that had previously had enough fix a flat in it that it rusted the tire to the wheel. Put slime in them and its still holding air over a year later.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Slime in tires

Been using it for a few years with no trouble. i had a slow leak in one of my ITP mudlites, I used slime on that tire plus the others and have not had a problem since. 2+ years. My kids were always getting flats on their bicycle tires from thorns, after patching the tubes many times I used slime on there bikes and no more flats. I have since then added slime to there ATV tires as well and so far no flats,,

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Slime in tires

I have used it and it works well. I did have a larger cut that it wouldn't seal, and like ctate, used a plug and the combination of both has held for 3 years.

Only drawback to the slime, is it will throw the tires out of balance. The only time you'll notice it is if you're doing a high speed down a smooth road. Otherwise, you won't notice it at all.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Slime in tires

the slime will make it harder to patch a tire. keep in mind that a patch is not a plug! the glue won't volatilize correctly with the slime unless it is extremely clean by using a cleaning agent or alcohol. plugs are perfectly fine with slime though.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

I was at my frends yesterday and he was telling me about that stuff. He put "Slime" in all his tires July of last year. I put it to the test when he said that if he ran over a screwdriver and it stuck in that he could pull it out and it'd seal up. When he walked in his house to use the restroom, I went in his garage, grabbed his flathead screwdriver and stuck it in the tire. When he came out he had his video camera with him and said "I knew you'd do that". "Now, watch this" he said, he started taping and I pulled the screwdriver out real fast and at an angle LOL and all I heard was a little air come out and that was it. I seen a little liquid come out but that's it. Awesome! I have that "Slme" in my storage box for future use but won't use it til I need to cause I've already got Plugs, CO2 cartridges, insertion tool and reamer.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime in tires

quadzilla420 I have the same setup I carry with me at all times. But I already have the slime in my tires so its not taking up space on my wolvy.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Slime in tires

I've got plenty of room for the "slime" in my rear storage box. I have it, the tire repair kit, jumper cables, tool kit, tow rope, tow chain, 240 pc. first aid kit, 10 packs of MRE's, 2 pr. change of clothes, gators, waterproof knee high boots, Lg. waterproof duffel bag, 400 gram thinsulate coat, solar powered inverter and battery tender. I even have a DC powered cooler w/ room for a 12 pk. and I still have an 8" x 10" x 12" empty space left over. I even have (2) 1 gallon gas caddy's bolted on to the back the storage box. So, if I need more storage space, I can mount the hard front storage box to the front rack. I've got plenty of room for more items which I can't think of to put in the front box.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Slime in tires

The slime will work very well for the thorns in Southwest Texas. It worked on the original Kawasaki Dunlops that were on my bike when I got. Also, they were full of thorns from South Texas. I am not sure what was going on with EdKatt's application, but it has worked every time for me. As others have said, I would see a little bit of the liquid ooze out of the hole and that was it. Just make sure that you put in the recommended amount for your tire sizes. I found it easier to buy it in the gallon jug at Wall Mart and pump it in. Good luck and YES Slime does work very well!

Quick Reply: Slime in tires